Piston to bore clearance?

I'm not positive for the xs650 bit for other engines including the one I am currently rebuilding that is the proper clearance. You may want to check around.

.07 is way loose The repair manual calls for .050 to .055 mm
Most stock engines were set to .052 or .053. Right in the middle of the tolerance.
You do have a repair manual don't you? You can down load free ones. biker.net
The most used and important tool you will ever have for your bike.
Leo

.003" would be viable only for a forged performance piston; those expand more than OE cast pistons and for that reason they require more clearance. For Yamaha's recommendations, refer to the factory manual at www.biker.net .

This thread is a mess. I don't understand why anyone would tear down a motor without a manual, especially when it's available as a free download. And what room for discussion is left by clear published specs?

Jeez, Griz, it's only the 6th day of the new year and your already being reasonable. I was thinking you'd hold off until at least, say, March.

Jeez, Griz, it's only the 6th day of the new year and you're already being reasonable. I was thinking you'd hold off until at least, say, March.

Manuals, smanuals ..... nobody reads those things around here. You are, after all, on the "facebook" of XS650 sites, lol. Any 12 year old with a computer can sign up (and from many of the posts I read here, I think lots do).

Back