PISTON4.jpg
[/IMG]

PISTON.jpg
[/IMG]

PISTON3.jpg
[/IMG]

PISTONS.jpg
[/IMG]

If you read in your Clymers repair manual it tells just what those numbers mean.
When the factory builds pistons they come out of the mold at different sizes. they measure them. They mark the pistons with the size. Those numbers are the size after the decimal point. All stock pistons are 74.xxx in diameter.
They match up the pistons in pirs by size.
They then bore the cylinders to match the pistons. The then mark the sleeves just below where the set in the case.
It works the same way with the cylinder numbers. They are all 75.xxx.
You subtract the piston size from the cylinder size to find the stock clearance between the piston and bore. All of the ones I have torn apart have .052 clearance right in the middle of the required .050 to .055.
In your case the pistons are just a bit different sizes. If you reuse them be sure you put them back in the side they came out of. If you reverse them one will be too tight, the other too loose.
In the Clymer book it tells you this on page 70. If you read chapter four it tells how to tear down the engine and what to look for and how to measure the parts to determine if they are too worn to use.
Leo

Back