Play in the shifter, is this normal?

XsJosh

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just like to title says, is it normal to have some play in the connection between the shift lever and the shaft? Even if a little play is normal, I'm thinking mine has go too much...

If you mean on the splines that the lever clamps onto, no there should be no play. The lever should clamp tight on the shaft splines but often they don't. If you let it go, it will get looser and looser, and can eventually strip the splines. What you can do to make the lever clamp down more is file out the gap that the bolt squeezes shut on the lever. Often the gap closes right up but the lever isn't tight yet.

The shaft looks good and the lever is as tight as I dare with a gap still present. I'm thinking it's time to replace it. What are everyone's thoughts on the extra length shifters?

I wear a 10 1/2 shoe. The stock is just fine for me.

What you need to do (if I may be so bold) is as 5Twins says and make a saw-cut to widen the gap in the lever so that the pinch bolt can can bite down more and pinch it tighter to eliminate that looseness.

If you don't do this, you run the risk of stripping the splines off the gear lever (not good) or the shifter shaft (really bad).

When I realized what was going on with this last year (i.e. when 5Twins pointed it out) - I checked my three bikes and ALL of them had loose shift levers. Getting all of them fixed took about an hour.

Last edited:
if you fix the lever, guaranteed it won't stay fixed if you actually ride the bike. fixed mine at least a dozen times.

back in the real sans-internet world, i doubt a loose lever ls likety to strip the splines on the shaft -- mine stays loose and gets ridden constantly and is none the worse for it

in reality, the lever seems much too soft to damage the splines on the shaft significantly. it is metal that a dremel cuts though like hot phlegm. while the shaft is probably hardened

Just my two cents but if your replacing it just get some mid sets. It is a more comfortable riding position.

I think the lever may come loose all the time because the bolt backs out a little. I've added lock washers to all mine and they rarely loosen now.

Is there a specific mid set you recommend?
Well I have the mid sets from old school speed and I’m pleased with the quality. The only downside with mid sets is you will need to bend or get a different kick start lever to use it. The old school speed mid sets have folding foot pegs and where I set my toe lever the kick start lever would barely hit when kick starting until I got a 77’ TT500 lever. Doesn’t bother me too much because I use the electric starter and kick is emergency only.

The shaft looks good and the lever is as tight as I dare with a gap still present. I'm thinking it's time to replace it. What are everyone's thoughts on the extra length shifters?

I have the longer shifter from MikesXS and have put about 500kms on it.

I’m a pretty standard size 11 boot and the extra length is nice (if not slightly long).

This said, the chrome finish is not nearly as good as the original from Yamaha.

Last edited:
XJ I have several roached out shift shafts from long use with loose levers, PO's grrr. Want them?
Unlike many M6 bolts you can reef on the shaft bolt pretty good to get that lever tight, it's held by deep STEEL threads.
:twocents: Once the bolt is TIGHT it doesn't loosen, at least not for me and I do ride a bunch.
If not the original bolt make sure you have a high tensile bolt, not a hardware store cheapie.

Back