Please direct me

Look at the top of the page click on tech and click on carburetors. You will find the address for the carb guide. Tony C

I see where your talking about. But all I see is blah blah blah.... Ha! Just kidding. Is there a thread showing how to sync carbs but in English? I also saw a thread where someone made a homemade tool used to sync them with.. I need to make this and learn how to use it.

This might help with the tool ( Manometer )
I bought a set of carb balancing guages as i do use them regularly.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2317&highlight=dead+cylinder

The principal for either is the same - make sure that each carb is sucking the same amount of air. To be honest, you can get these twins almost spot on by balancing them "by ear". Basically, turn the balance screw ( the one on the shaft connecting the carbs) untill both exhausts sound and feel the same.
You can also use the "dead cylinder method" where you increase you rpm to fast tickover, pull a plug lead from number one, adjust mixture screw to get an even tickover, repeat for number two. In theory, both pots are working equals

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Really?? Ummm.. U mean top right search?? And I did that.. There's a million threads on carbs. I was just wondering if anyone cld forward me to the exact one instead of looking for ever..

1. Find 'homemade manometer'....build it...it's awesome.
2. Attach the manomoter to the barbs on the carbs (not sure what year you have...mine's an 81)
3. Adjust the screw according to manometer.

If I did it through search, you can do it.

Paulrxs650, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you sir. And rlauchard, mines a '76 model. Not sure if I have the barbs or not. That's the only thing I have to figure out now is where to hook the hoses up to

I use a drill bit, I forget what size off hand, but use the shank end, losen the cables right off so the slide sits on the bit, then tighten the cables up just until they start to grab, then turn your idle screws in just until they start to touch the slides.

After that you can fire the bike and adjust accordingly (I have trained my ear after 9+ years of working on bikes)

Back