PLEASE HELP!! Im so lost here.

seth1981

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok battery is at 12.55 volts. (checked today, good battery)
I rode around and pulled into my driveway and I was at 12.55 volts. I let it sit a while and it stayed there. I unplugged my headlight. When I got back and plugged it in I got a usual drop them it started falling probably 0.5 volts per second.
I unplug the light and it continues to drop.
When idling in about 12 volts. Revving gives me about 12.4 volts.
Why when I plug it in does it start to drop and continue even after its unplugged all wires clear of anything and no grounding.. But if I leave it unplugged it stays at 12.5

Stator and regulator checked out ok.

Last edited:
Could be anything....Start troubleshooting by disconnecting non essential loads such as lights and monitor voltage. If you notice the voltage raises once something is disconnected, you may have a short to ground. During idle I would expect ~14v. Anything less than 13 is not sufficient. Seems like you have a problem in tge charging system since you stated when you add load your voltage begins to drop.

Folks probably aren't responding because they don't have much info about your bike. I saw in a previous post that's it was customised, hardtailed, recently purchased from the fabricator? I'm guessing a 1981 because of your member name.
Whoever customised it, did they provide a wiring diagram? You said the regulator tested ok, how did you go about testing it? More background and maybe pictures could be useful.

Ahh, sorry. Bike is a 73 tx650. I bought it from a guy who hardtailed it himself. He mentioned the batt wouldn't stay charged. He didn't give a wiring. diagram. I did don't a manual online that listed each ohm the regulator should have with points connected, halfway and open ect. Stator had close to the correct ohms on each ring. The bike runs strong and fast. Is dosnt have the newer regulator I've seen that's square with the fins or heat sinks on it. It's definitely old. I pulled the cover and everything was clean, point wasn't coroded or dirty. That's about all the info I can think of.

Could be anything....Start troubleshooting by disconnecting non essential loads such as lights and monitor voltage. If you notice the voltage raises once something is disconnected, you may have a short to ground. During idle I would expect ~14v. Anything less than 13 is not sufficient. Seems like you have a problem in tge charging system since you stated when you add load your voltage begins to drop.

I have never seen an XS650 put out 14 volts at idle. I ran one for years that barely got 13 volts at any rpm, while everyone kept telling me it was on it's last legs. If I get 13.8 I do not even think about it. My current XS puts out 14.2 max, and 13.2 idling, and that is just fine.

The earlier points bikes had a separate rectifier and regulator setup.The white wires from the stator went to the rectifier attached to the underside of the battery box. Another test you have to make is on the rectifier to make sure the diodes are working properly. Does your bike still have the battery box? Here's a thread from gggGary, going over the workings of the charging system: www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10561 Read it through, it might be the map you need to get you out of the wilderness.

No it didn't have anything on it. I havnt pulled anything as far as parts off the bike. I'm wondering if he removed something he shouldn't have. I'll check out the thread tonight. I havnt seen anything else in the electrical system besides the regulator (little box with 1 point that contacts at a certain rpm). Thank you

First off you are jumping around to too many things. Bike with separate REG/REC should be around 12.5 volts running at idle. When you rev motor it should go over 13 volts and some only go as far as 13.8 stock. Disconnecting things shows nothing if you have a bad or week charging system. Voltage on a battery will go up and down with loads. You need to check your wires for charging only and test or replace your reg/rec. Upgrading to a one piece will work but then you have to screw with nylon screws to lift brush grounds. It tough to fix if you don't have spare parts to change and don't know how to test. Here is a diagram of all the basic wires from points to TCi but look at the one with the separate REG/REC and double check your wires first.

Attachments

• 650 wires.jpg
    650 wires.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 428
Follow the harness from the alternator, it comes out from under the sprocket, there are 3 white wires, follow where they go. They SHOULD go to the rectifier which used to look about like this.

early rectifier.jpg

Here is your basic wiring, it's not very complicated.

Early alternator generic schematic.gif

Here's a regulator and the rectifier as originally installed on a 73

early regulator.jpg early rectifier.jpg

Rectifier has three white wires that connect to the stator's white wires (any order) a red wire that goes to the battery and a black wire that is grounded to frame, engine and battery negative terminal.

When working on a customized bike it is wise to assume NOTHING about the wiring. Check test and verify EVERY wire component and connection. Remove all electrical tape, open all areas where wiring goes.
Early alternator generic schematic.gif

I've got the entire harness pulled. I checked the hacked up rectifier last and although it's ugly it has good numbers. Everything seems good I just need to check all wires, connections and grounds.

Thank you guys for your help. I REALLY appreciate it.

Back