Please help super noob!!! All I have is wiring harness 1980

Turbo2007

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello and thanks for your time. I bought a 1980 xs650 and I want to know what would be cheaper route to complete the electrical/ignition. All I have is the wiring harness. I'm missing everything else electrical. I need to know what I'm missing and if I should upgrade the system. Thanks again

The 80-83 had an electronics ignition that worked off of a pickup on the rotor and charging system and a TCI box that controlled it. So if you have none of those you would either need TCI box, reg/rec and the appropriate rotor/charging system for the year. You could probably by all 3 from a member or ebay for around $150 ish. Or you could convert it to a pma and points or pamco which can get pricey, well over $350 for everything.

Hello and thanks for your time. I bought a 1980 xs650 and I want to know what would be cheaper route to complete the electrical/ignition. All I have is the wiring harness. I'm missing everything else electrical. I need to know what I'm missing and if I should upgrade the system. Thanks again

Hi Turbo and welcome,
it's ALL gone? WTF, there has to be an interesting story there, eh?
You will need rotor, stator, ignition module, regulator/rectifier and coil at the very least.
Is the ignition switch missing too?
And yeah, a battery.
The least costly fix is to replace what's missing with used parts.
A great place to look for used XS650 parts is this list's classified section.
I don't see the PMA/pamco switch as an upgrade on an '80 or newer XS650,
more that it's what you gotta do when you can't find replacement stock parts.

Back