Please someone help me

irishfabricator

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Okay so I have a 79 xs650 I built for 2 years I put a Hughes pma n regulator with a sparx capacitor. Now I can start the bike fine but give it a lil throttle n pops n shit now I redid my grounds n started testing things with multimeter I am getting up to 30 volts dc through the positive wire on my regulator n even at my coils so am I correct saying the regulator is screwed or ?

Hi irish,
if it ran good for two years and now it don't AND your regulator is now delivering 30VDC instead of the mebbe 14VDC that it should, you are most likely correct.
Good luck with the diagnosis.

It ran for a year on a pma with battery setup before then it sat for 2 years as I rebuilt the whole bike n that's when I rewired it on the capacitor setup. N thanks i hope I figure this soon I busted my ass to finish it n can't get it going right

Hi irish,
there's those that swear that capacitors are better than a battery but I ain't amongst them.
Here's a thing you can try at no expense:-
De-wire your capacitor, hook up your car battery to the bike with jumper cables in it's place and see what happens.

I did do that but with an extra cycle battery I had n even pulled the positive wire off the battery while running n still getting up to n over 30vdc so I went ahead an ordered a regulator. Hopefully be here by Friday so I will let know how it turns out.

Well got my regulator today from mikexs I know some hate em but they are one of the few who had it in stock but anywho I recounted it in a remote location under my seat rewired it with a 10gauge ground wire n bam she loves n only pushing 14.2 bolts at open throttle so needless to say it was the regulator. Replyed for future users.

Back