pm alternator question

gmiller217

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a banshee charging system on my 82 but every post I find on the subject seems geared toward points or pamco. is there no way to keep my crank triggered ignition?

You are talking about two different systems: a charging system and an ignition system. They are independent of each other. You can run the 30 plus year ignition system if you care to. I am running a Boyer Brandsen with my PM alternator. Good luck TC

yes I understand the differences , but what I am reading, is the permanent magnet charging system removes the original crank trigger. thus making my tci non operational. I am looking for a way to retain my crank trigger without spending the cash for a pamco

Your crank modual wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the trigger magnet or the charging magnets and fire on all of them. Must have been enough space between the two feilds on the original rotor to work.

You are correct as for now you will be limited to a cam fired ignition. The good thing is there are several out there. I am not aware of a crank fired ignition for the street. Sorry that I was not complete with my first answer. You will be happy with a Pamco and you may be able to sell your present ignition on E-Bay to re-coup most of the cost. TC

Plus the Banshee( or whatever new rotor your running) don't have the magnet to trigger the iggy modual. I understand that Radio Shack sells rare earth magnets and maybe one could be epoxied in a newly drilled hole (properly placed for timeing) and may keep the stock TCI. It might work, or not. Anyone tried this?

Back