PMA kit - battery voltage question

AirsoftNY

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had my Hugh PMA for several months, it's been working great but I do have one question:

What type of voltage am I expected to get at the battery? I'm getting just about 13 volts @ 3000 RPM, does this sound in the ballpark for what others are getting?

thanks!

Aaron

As your creep up in RPM it should top out around 14v, if its around 16v to 18v your reg/rec is shot and your battery is about to be smoked.

Seems low to me should get better than 14 volts at much above idle.
My stock systems do.
Leo

Anything above 12.5 or so, is good to go. Depending on the AH of your battery, and the draw on the system during operation, you can get up to 14.9 but anything higher is a problem. Anything lower than 12V is also an issue. Sounds like you are good to go - but if you ever need anything, just ask :)

Hugh

Thanks guys!

Hugh, to confirm, you're referring to getting 12.5 at above idle RPM?

Thanks guys!

Hugh, to confirm, you're referring to getting 12.5 at above idle RPM?

Yes, depending on what ignition, lights, etc you are running, you should still be fine. Are you having any issues? If so, describe the problems and we can go from there. But 12.5 at Idle is good, especially if you have a high draw headlight, points (or Boyer) etc...

Hugh

i'm running both headlights, taillight and digital speedo illuminated at all times to burn extra voltage protect the Pamco. The bike will still start with one kick when warm, even with all the lights on. PMA, Pamco, Sparx Cap, no battery.
Think the lights are overkill Hugh?

Are you having any issues? If so, describe the problems and we can go from there.
Hugh

No issues; I actually was checking my wiring with a multimeter and I was getting easily between 14-15v at the fusebox, but only around 12.5 - 13v at the battery, so it got me wondering what I should be getting at the battery.

Thanks!

i'm running both headlights, taillight and digital speedo illuminated at all times to burn extra voltage protect the Pamco. The bike will still start with one kick when warm, even with all the lights on. PMA, Pamco, Sparx Cap, no battery.
Think the lights are overkill Hugh?

Running Hi and Low beams on all the time is not going to do you any good, and will put alot of load on the system. You'll be fine running just one at a time with a switch to select hi/lo beam.

HUgh

Back