PMA trouble-- timed still not running

Trizz5253

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
so we put the pma in and I was having trouble getting it to start, do I thought it was out of time. I brought it to a shop by me the guy who is a great mechanic and builds some of the sickest xs I have ever seen. so I brought it to him and he said he didn't know much about the pma but sure he could figure it out. long story short I got a call today and he said it's not the carbs and he timed the bike twice and it still doesn't run right. he said he put on the old charging system and found tdc and then timed it with but it still runs like shit. Anything you think I should check into. once it starts which takes forever it breaks up really bad. it has new plugs and no battery. with an hhb charging system and a sparxx capacitor.

sorry I forgot about that it's just points. he tested then and said everything looks good. also I'm just running the stock two coils

Set a battery to the side and temporarily attach it parallel with the capacitor. If it runs better, then your capacitor isn't holding enuff charge to stabilize the regulator and ignition. (simplistic explaination)...

Oh, ok, just plus to plus, and neg to neg. Use 2 wires, make sure they are out of the way of moving things, make sure the ends don't touch anything other than the Sparx terminals. Also, double-check that you have good grounds.

I have to pick up the bike tomorrow so I should be able to try it soon. im hoping this will give me some details on what is going on with this thing. I just wanna ride. thanks for your help

any coil you would recommend? I wanna get something good but i don't have a clue about what's a decent coil to go with

As you can see in my signature, I use a Pamco Ignition with E-advancer and
Accel #140403S Coil. I've used that coil for 6 years now and its works great. If you continue to use points, you are limited to coils with 4 ohms or more primary resistance. The Accel coil is 3 ohms, so its not for points.

Back