PMA with TCI

Well, to bring this thread in for a soft landing, I found the following culprits:

Shorted battery

High brush resistance due to new rotor slip rings being coated with residue from the manufacturing process

A failed "Chrysler" regulator that left me pulling my hair when I kept getting zero output from my "new" components.

I was half suspecting the new led bulb of being a dead short somehow as all these things started happening directly after I installed it, but it wasn't the problem. It has failed me in another way, in that the high beam only comes on if I leave the headlight switch between high and low, but that's another story. LED bulbs let me down again!

Anyhow, in the interest of science, I decided to pull apart the failed regulator just to see what's inside.

Mostly, ummm.......sand...

20210919_125201.jpg

From China Beach no doubt..

20210919_125224.jpg

Pretty unimpressed by the amount of components in there.
20210919_125810.jpg

Perhaps the sand is included to give it a certain "gravitas" so to speak. I wonder if the original Chrysler regulators from the 70s have a bit more meat in them? I seem to remember paying about $40 CAD from NAPA for this one. I replaced it with a $15 Wilson from them. I can't really see how many ways they could make this cheaper. I thought the Fiat regulator was suspiciously tiny, now I know why.

Where could they possibly cheap out?

Chinese Production Manager: "Hold my beer....."

Back