pma?

bTw1226

bTw1226
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question but calls for an easy answer.. Do I need a pma to run my bike with my new pamco I just purchased?
:confused:

No. PMA allows you to run without a battery - a capacitor instead as it generates enough juice when you kickstart the bike to fire the engine. No electric start if you delete the battery though.

Otherwise the PMA also provides a worry free charging system for your bike replacing the often faulty stock setup.

Your Pamco ignition has nothing to do with any of this. Install away.

No. PMA allows you to run without a battery - a capacitor instead as it generates enough juice when you kickstart the bike to fire the engine. No electric start if you delete the battery though.

Otherwise the PMA also provides a worry free charging system for your bike replacing the often faulty stock setup.

Your Pamco ignition has nothing to do with any of this. Install away.

Awesome! is the banshee swap with used parts better or going with hughs kit do a better job? im trying to do it as inexpensive as possible.. and where can i find a capacitor?

lowbrow sells a sparx capacitor for cheap that works well. New parts are more reliable, used parts are a crapshoot.

is the banshee swap with used parts better or going with hughs kit do a better job?

I did my PMA using bits and pieces and it didn't save much money. I did it that way primarily to understand how the pieces worked together and how it was done before the kits were available. If I have do it again I am going to go with a kit from Hugh for the simple fact that it is all new parts and Hugh stands behind his products. There are other kits available but there has already been a discussion about the pros and cons of each kit elsewhere. Hugh is just my preference.

I did my PMA with mostly used parts. I saved a few bucks (not a whole lot) and if I had to do it again, I would've just got the entire kit from Hugh.

If you need to retain the TCI ignition you really cannot use the PMA. If you have the TCI then you will need to go with the Pamco or switch to points.

Glenn

Thanks for all the continued support and praise of Hugh's HandBuilt products folks :thumbsup:

With the Pamco, you don't HAVE to use a PMA at all. If you are happy with your OEM charging system, and it works - save the cash and get to ridin. :bike: If the OEM charging system fails you, then you might consider a PMA - but again, it's not required for your setup to run and ride...

The PMA and Pamco are my favorite 2 mods to ANY XS650... Simple wiring, reliable, and clean... Not to mention, I like the idea of all new parts on a 28+ year old bike.

Hugh

thanks guys. that is extremely helpful and the choice i should make is clearly obvious.(WHEN my stock system fails me of course.)

Back