Points gap

txa74

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey all.
ITS ALIVE, after 17 years of sitting, I've finnally got my 1974 txa(650) running again.
Its not running good, but it is running. I've did the battery charger on the gas tank to get rid of the rust, cleaned the carbs, cleaned the shut offs on the tank. But it does not like to idel. Playing around I noticed the points were not gapped the same. Does anyone know what they should be set at?

Thanks txa74

.012-.016 widest gap.

Also congrats on getting her running. I pulled my carbs tonight and found the idle and main jet clogged again. Hoping a good cleaning will put her right.

Thank you, I have them set at .01 right now and it runs rough, back fires etc. I'll try alittle more, and maybe adjust the timing as well.
The old but good ones need a little help once in awhile, but well worth it.
Hope your cleannig works for ya.

Any time you change the gap, the timing changes.
Start Adjusting the cam chain tension. Then do the upper set. Gap to .016, set timing. Now do the lower set.
Heupper set is for the right cylinder and is mounted on the full breaker plate. The lower set is for the left cylinder and Is mounted on a half breaker plate. So once you get the upper points set you shouldn't touch the screws for them to do the lower set.
Your repair manual has directions and pics explaining the how to.
Leo

XSLeo
Thank you for the input.
I gapped at .016 got no spark, set at .014 started sparking, slowed timeing abit, not knowing which side was controled by what.
Still back firing, only running on one cylinder at times ,and reving up suddenly.
timing light fires regular.
I think I will try new plugs and start again with your advice.
Thanks for now,

txa74

Back