Points Ignition/Battery Size

offthewall

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey y'all, I am running a kick only, points ignition on my 79 650 with a solid state reg/rec. I was using a small, wet, 12V 3AH battery for about a month until it crapped out. The battery was spewing acid like nobody's business every time I rode.

I'm wondering what size battery you guys are getting away with running a similar setup? Should I just get a sealed lead acid battery?

May I be having an issue with: Charging system? Voltage Reg/Rec? or was this batt simply too small?

Hey y'all, I am running a kick only, points ignition on my 79 650 with a solid state reg/rec. I was using a small, wet, 12V 3AH battery for about a month until it crapped out. The battery was spewing acid like nobody's business every time I rode.

I'm wondering what size battery you guys are getting away with running a similar setup? Should I just get a sealed lead acid battery?

May I be having an issue with: Charging system? Voltage Reg/Rec? or was this batt simply too small?

If the battery was not cracked and leaking(you indicated it only happened when you rode)-I would check your alternator output. It sounds like a classic overcharge condition. The battery forms bubbles of hydrogen between the plates, and as they vent they carry battery juice with 'em. If it's overcharging you need to look to the voltage regulator next. Your battery may be fine, maybe need topping off if it has cooked off a decent amount of water.

If the battery was not cracked and leaking(you indicated it only happened when you rode)-I would check your alternator output. It sounds like a classic overcharge condition. The battery forms bubbles of hydrogen between the plates, and as they vent they carry battery juice with 'em. If it's overcharging you need to look to the voltage regulator next. Your battery may be fine, maybe need topping off if it has cooked off a decent amount of water.

Is it possible that my battery is too small? I just checked the voltage at my battery while idling and revving and she doesn't go over 14.5V. It doesn't go below 14.3 either though.

If you're always in the low to mid 14s, I think you've got a problem. The regulator is supposed to "regulate" that down to the mid 12s or so around idle speeds. Then it should progressively climb as the RPMs do, topping out by about 3K to 3500 and going no higher after that.

I'm assuming you have the stock style regulator since you can adjust it? It didn't seem right to me either 5twins but I don't know what the problem is.

I have a larger 9AH lithium Ion batt I'm going to try to throw in. But before I do so it says It has a 9A charge rate, is the 11A that the alternator puts out too much for this batt? I don't want to fry my $150 batt

Just curious, how big of a headlight are you running? I've been running a 1.3ah battery, at idle, i'm at 13.9 (headlight on) and goes to 14.3 revved. I'm using a universal chopper 4.5" headlight that uses a scooter bulb that I think is rated at 20 watts.

offthewall, your solid state reg/rec is not adjustable. The stock mechanical reg was adjustable. It could be a bad ground on the reg/rec.
Where did you get your reg/rec?
Leo

Xsleo- I highly doubt it's a bad ground. I have a wire running direct to the negative terminal on my bat from where my reg/rec is mounted. I got the reg/rec from xs650direct.com. Canada ehh

As long as you followed the install instructions that came with the reg/rec it should work fine. There have been some troubles with those reg/rec's but most are from improperly wiring them and poor grounds.
I didn't say it "was" a bad ground, I said it "could be" a bad ground.
Just suggesting possible things to check.
One thing I might try is if you have a spare battery, like from your riding lawn mower or some such. Set it beside the bike and hook it up. Test run the bike and check voltages.
It usually reads a lower voltage at idle not so much because the reg makes it low is because the rotor isn't spinning fast enough to get max power out of the alternator. As you bring the engine speed up the rotor spins faster and at some point the rpms reach a point the alternator is making more power than the bike is using. Often around 2000 rpms.
Once the output reaches this point the reg starts controlling the voltage so as to keep it below about 14.5 volts.
Leo

Back