Popping noises under load

Shovel Jockey

Piano Tuna
Reaction score
Upstate South Carolina mountains, (Moonshiner 28)
Hey guys, been a year since I've been on here. Hope everyone's doing well. Starting my first rebuild on my 78E engine so you'll be hearing from me more often. This question is regarding the 75 engine I am currently running in the 78. I'm hearing and to a lesser degree feeling through the seat an intermittent popping sound at low speeds under load. Checked the chain and its fine. Checked the rear wheel bearings and they seem fine, any thoughts?

Normally, you'd have to disassemble the clutch and inspect the backside of the clutch basket, looking for loose and/or broken damper springs.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-clutch.143/page-2#post-18657

Do a forum search on "clutch damper springs" and "primary springs". Many of those threads will discuss the damper plate, as used on '80-up clutch hubs, and doesn't apply here, so those can be skipped.

A possible test would be to have the bike on the centerstand, engine off, trans in 4th or 5th gear. Aggressively rock the rear wheel fore/aft, listening for clink/clack/rattle sounds from the clutch area. I can't really tell you what to listen for, this is one of those times for having a couple of good-condition XSs to compare against...

Back