Por - 15 and welding

jaifresh

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi,

i POR-15'd my xs tank last week, and it has now cured.

the only problem is i sand blasted the outside of my tank last night and it tore a tiny little hole were i removed the badge mounts.

the question is how do i go about welding up this hole without ruining the por-15 finish on the inside of my tank ??

if i do mig or solder it will the por15 arond it flake and fall off?

cheers

Jai

It absolutely will where it gets hot. I am not a fan of POR, although I like some similar products. However, at this point that is moot. But I have used similar products a lot and I know for sure it will lift where you heat it for welding.

yeh i know thats gonna happen, im more concerned that the rest of it will flake and fall off further around the tack...

will it all peel off eventually?

do i need to reseal it or can i just leave it wiht fuel stopping it form rusting?

cheers

Jai

I would sand/grind off the area 3" at least where you are going to need to weld. Weld it slow with plenty of water to cool in between sessions and the re POR. I personally love POR for what it does, but I would definitely use something over it....

I know it's too late now but you should have done the outside first.
I might get the torch out and heat the tank to burn the coating off, then recoat after I got the hole fixed and the first coat of primer on.
Leo

XS650 tanks are a dime a dozen start over with one that isn't a rust bucket. Just thrown that out there.

Back