possibly dumb question about H.F. hoist

emzdogz

Aunty Em
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying this, to help me lift my chopper project bike up about 2 feet off the ground, using slings toward the front and rear portions of the frame, so I can then easily set it on my work table, without having to call my neighbor over to help me roll it up using board ramp, etc.

My carport has stout wood right where I would attach this, and could support the weight of the bike easily.

Question: so you push the button and it lifts "up". But what about coming down? Does it let you bring it down slowly and controllably? or is "down" basically just a release, and it comes down real fast?

thanks! :)

http://www.harborfreight.com/1300-lb-capacity-electric-hoist-2954.html

ps It's getting a tiny tad cooler - starting to think of working on the bike again. I need to finish it up over this winter, and I'll be needing to take it off and on the table a few times. Also I'd like to use this hoist to assist with engine removal. (or frame removal, whichever way I end up doing it.

emzdogz, It should lower the same as it rises. I read the PDF file on the instructions and i don't think it is good value for the money. It can only be used for 2 min 30sec them it has to sit for at least 7 i/2min before it can be used again.

Personally i would buy a 2 ton Endless chain....block and tackle......Chain hoist, (this is in Aus, should be cheaper over your way and you can get smaller ones that are a 1/2 ton), or what ever you guys call them over there, no electrical parts and lasts for a life time

I think you will get what you pay for buying the HF winch

Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying this, to help me lift my chopper project bike up about 2 feet off the ground, using slings toward the front and rear portions of the frame, so I can then easily set it on my work table, without having to call my neighbor over to help me roll it up using board ramp, etc.

My carport has stout wood right where I would attach this, and could support the weight of the bike easily.

Question: so you push the button and it lifts "up". But what about coming down? Does it let you bring it down slowly and controllably? or is "down" basically just a release, and it comes down real fast?

thanks! :)

http://www.harborfreight.com/1300-lb-capacity-electric-hoist-2954.html

ps It's getting a tiny tad cooler - starting to think of working on the bike again. I need to finish it up over this winter, and I'll be needing to take it off and on the table a few times. Also I'd like to use this hoist to assist with engine removal. (or frame removal, whichever way I end up doing it.

I have one of those and I've used it for many things including moving my xs engine around. The up and down button both operate the motor, (forward/reverse). There is no "release". Since it's essentially an on/off situation, there's no speed control. So it is abupt. I use foam pads and rags under the engine when lowering.

I was thinking of that sort of block and tackle, too. But I wondered how hard it would be to pull. The loading dock door here at my work (big garage door type) goes up and down via an endless chain type of set-up built into the top of it. I wish I knew how much that door weighs. The door is pretty big, but pulling it up is plenty doable for me. So maybe that way would be an option.
thanks for the input. Still considering options.

My objective is to NOT spend $$, or I'd just buy a lift table. My homeowners' ins co is forcing me to get a new roof, so, no play $$$.

Never used this type of lift you are referring but suspect it would have a controlled rate of speed both lifting and lowering.

I used one of these and really liked it for working. Tie the bike to the rails and it was easy to move out of the way when not working on it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...500-lb-capacity-atv-motorcycle-lift-2792.html

Eventually got one of these and never looked back.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...0-lb-capacity-motorcycle-lift-68892-8495.html

hehehhh, yeah that's what I'd really like best to have, but it's not possible now. Glad you like yours. :)

I have one of those and I've used it for many things including moving my xs engine around. The up and down button both operate the motor, (forward/reverse). There is no "release". Since it's essentially an on/off situation, there's no speed control. So it is abupt. I use foam pads and rags under the engine when lowering.

thanks for that info. So how abrupt? like did you practically have a heart attack when you first used it to lower the engine?

I use the hf engine hoist to pull motors from my yotas. I switched to mags the other day (better tires) on my chop so I slung a sling around frame and up she went. Got her about2 feet off the ground worked out great

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 204
Block and tackle are real easy to use and can be lowered gently, They have a slow rate of lift and drop, the chain kind of locks after a lift and needs a bit of a jerk, (not much), to unlock for the decent.

Shit they are cheap over there, did another search HERE

Yesterday I used my hf chain hoist to finesse my redone engine into my frame. It goes down exactly as it goes up, smooth and only as far s you move the drive chain. Totally a one-handed operation.

thanks for that info. So how abrupt? like did you practically have a heart attack when you first used it to lower the engine?

No, not heart attack aburpt. The motor has a relay, like your bike starter solenoid, so there's a "clack" sound when you hit the button. Since there's no speed control, the motor immediately goes 'X' RPM. (not sure what the RPM that is, but it's not too fast). It's no problem. You mentioned getting a new roof........I used mine this summer to get the plywood and shingles up there. Also, you could save some $$$ and consider a smaller model hoist.

the math came out different when I did it. (but then, I'm bad at math) I had thought like 2 seconds per foot (approx), which could be scary. I guess it depends on how well the button works and how drastic it is to stop and start it during a lift or lowering.

I'm really considering the chain type that ratchets via a lever. That kind just hangs from a huge J hook - would be easier to attach to the timber in my carport. Like this one would be overkill, but a Nice thing to have, i think.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-ton-lever-chain-hoist-66106.html

thanks, but see the thing is, I want utilize an existing table I built for the bike to sit on, so I just need a way to hoist the whole bike onto the table.
thanks tho! I hear those are great.

the math came out different when I did it. (but then, I'm bad at math) I had thought like 2 seconds per foot (approx), which could be scary. I guess it depends on how well the button works and how drastic it is to stop and start it during a lift or lowering.

I'm really considering the chain type that ratchets via a lever. That kind just hangs from a huge J hook - would be easier to attach to the timber in my carport. Like this one would be overkill, but a Nice thing to have, i think.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-ton-lever-chain-hoist-66106.html

Those lever chains are harder to work than the block and tackle in a situation that requires finese

Last edited:
out of curiosity what type of frame would you need for something like the motorized lift to hold an engine?

well initially I'd like to simply hoist the whole bike (hardtailed frame) with engine in it, up onto the approx 2 foot high work table. That is hoist bike, slide table under and lower bike onto table.

So I could attach a sling under and around the top triple tree and maybe even also through the frame itself, forward of the coil, and at the back I can easily attach a sling to the cross tube the rear springs of the seat sit on. Being that it's a real basic bike, lots of the frame is exposed and could be used to loop the slings onto.

Eventually I'll probably get one of those engine stands like TC Bros sells, once the engine is out.

Is that what you meant? wasn't sure.

Or did you mean what will support the weight? In my case I have a carport and the beams are real beefy 2 by 6, either doubled up or even triple in some places and they are supported by ancient 4 inch round iron pipe uprights. So I'm pretty sure it'll hold. But I'm gonna get up there and inspect those beams really well first - make sure they're not rotted or anything.

Back