Post a Photo of your Dog

This is a picture of a Spanish fort in St. Augustine, Fla. The walls are made of a mix of seashells and sand. When invading British ships fired on the fort, the cannonballs just stuck in the walls, which I believe were 5 ft thick. The Spanish troops occupying the fort were able to retrieve the cannonballs and send them back to the British ships.

So are you saying that those Spanish troops were the originators of the recycling trend?

I was back in the Catskills, Central Region yesterday on the '82, just north of Pepacton Reservoir.
Route 2 travels East-West, and it climbs one mountain before plunging you down to the base of the next one; a good
place to test the limits of your braking system.

284px-Central_Catskills_from_Twin_south_summit.jpg

Rounding a turn, I came upon an enormous old barn on my right that caught my eye, as it harkened some images from my past.

zzzzbarnn1.jpg

zzzBarnn4.jpg

My main focus became the grain elevator section:

zzzBarnn2.jpg

It reminded me of the Hardy Boys TV show from my early childhood, 1950's.
Like my brother and I, the boys would explore spooky old buildings in their community and usually get into some trouble.

892890.jpg
hb02.jpg

zzzBarnn3.jpg

Imagining being up top, inside that silo, I recalled scenes from Hitchcock's Vertigo:

Vertigostairs.jpg
Nd9GcTaxCThYjrRtdKt1sJJkrMhbm0FAYpT45n4iA&usqp=CAU.jpg

Vert.jpg

Attachments

• Vertigostairs.jpg
    Vertigostairs.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1
That is a wonderful edifice, so tall and imposing. We don't have anything like that around these parts. Shame about some of the replacement windows though. Great pictures and weren't you lucky being on hand to catch Jimmy Stewart hanging by his fingertips!

That is a wonderful edifice, so tall and imposing. We don't have anything like that around these parts. Shame about some of the replacement windows though. Great pictures and weren't you lucky being on hand to catch Jimmy Stewart hanging by his fingertips!
That scene with Jimmy Stewart was taken in Mission San Juan Bautista, Ca. My brother was there and it's on my bucket list

Not California, not New York state, just Berwickshire:

PICT2338.JPG

PICT2340.JPG

Not a good portrait of an XS either, but I wanted to show enough of the old farm buildings. Pity about the new roof, but I suppose it shows that this is still a working building.

The arched entrance would be for hay carts? With hay stored up above? I dunno, I'm not a farmer.

The same farm has a couple of open-sided, corrugated iron barns just up the lane but it was too awkward to get the bike close to those.

I was back in the Catskills, Central Region yesterday on the '82, just north of Pepacton Reservoir.
Route 2 travels East-West, and it climbs one mountain before plunging you down to the base of the next one; a good
place to test the limits of your braking system.

284px-Central_Catskills_from_Twin_south_summit.jpg

Rounding a turn, I came upon an enormous old barn on my right that caught my eye, as it harkened some images from my past.

View attachment 172587

View attachment 172588

My main focus became the grain elevator section:

View attachment 172589

It reminded me of the Hardy Boys TV show from my early childhood, 1950's.
Like my brother and I, the boys would explore spooky old buildings in their community and usually get into some trouble.

892890.jpg
hb02.jpg

View attachment 172590

Imagining being up top, inside that silo, I recalled scenes from Hitchcock's Vertigo:

Vertigostairs.jpg
Nd9GcTaxCThYjrRtdKt1sJJkrMhbm0FAYpT45n4iA&usqp=CAU.jpg

View attachment 172591

I must’ve been sleeping, I didn’t see this latest post until just now. Great photos as usual, and I’m envious of your rides in such beautiful country.....as usual. :laugh2:

Attachments

• Vertigostairs.jpg
    Vertigostairs.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1

View attachment 173117

View attachment 173118

Not a good portrait of an XS either, but I wanted to show enough of the old farm buildings. Pity about the new roof, but I suppose it shows that this is still a working building.

The arched entrance would be for hay carts? With hay stored up above? I dunno, I'm not a farmer.

The same farm has a couple of open-sided, corrugated iron barns just up the lane but it was too awkward to get the bike close to those.

That’s a very cool looking old building, they built things to last where you live, no creaky old boards. Even the window frames are carved stone! Keep it coming Raymond, I’ll never make it to your country, but I am really enjoying seeing it through your eyes. :thumbsup:

View attachment 173117

View attachment 173118

Your magnificent stone barns will still be standing centuries after the structures in New York State have crumbled.

Well, here is one dated 1890 on the cupilo.

I've passed this barn on Route 18, 5 miles north of the town of Delhi in the Catskills Mountains a number of times, but never stopped to take a photo cuz the cars are whizzing by at 60mph and there is absolutely no shoulder to stop on. But today I did anyway, parking in the road facing oncoming traffic.

I live dangerously :)

The silo is a favorite; it is covered in porcelain fired tiles.

I love this barn.

ZMapleShade2.jpg

ZMapleShade.jpg

a1763e542cc0d13dfc39874aa8125690.jpg

Well, here is one dated 1890 on the cupilo.

I've passed this barn on Route 18, 5 miles north of the town of Delhi in the Catskills Mountains a number of times, but never stopped to take a photo cuz the cars are whizzing by at 60mph and there is absolutely no shoulder to stop on. But today I did anyway, parking in the road facing oncoming traffic.

I live dangerously :)

The silo is a favorite; it is covered in porcelain fired tiles.

I love this barn.

View attachment 173147

View attachment 173148

a1763e542cc0d13dfc39874aa8125690.jpg

Ive never seen anything like that tiled silo. :geek:

Me neither! Grain silo for ostentatious display of wealth? Like it.
Here is a bit of history I found:

The adoption of masonry materials created advantages over wooden silos. The structures could be made much taller due to the stability and strength of these materials; more weight could be supported. One of the greatest threats to a wood silo was rot and fire. With a masonry silo, the threat of fire was negligible, rotting was no longer a concern, and they were heavy enough that strong winds could no longer blow them over as had happened to many wooden silos. Also, masonry components were themselves airtight which made the sealing of the building against air leakage much easier to accomplish. Finally, masonry silos were more durable requiring much less maintenance. Some of the earliest silos built from masonry components are still standing today, many with little to no continual maintenance. In contrast, wooden stave silos seldom survived. Researchers Henderson and Isern noted that in all of their travels and studies they knew of only one that still stood in the Plains states. There were several different types of masonry construction. A wide variety of materials were used in the construction of silos. Brick was a natural candidate; however, they were not usually used because of their high cost and the need for skilled labor in the construction process. After the development of natural gas in the early 1900s, cheap gas-fired ceramic hollow blocks became a material of choice. Extremely popular, these ceramic block silos are still seen standing on many farms in the Midwest. Ceramic building material was durable, attractive, and helped insulate the silage from freezing. The dark brown and glossy appearance of fired tile proved to be a popular addition to farmyards and some companies offered farmyard “kits” that included tile barns, silos, and other miscellaneous outbuildings in a coordinating scheme. Kits were obviously quite expensive and proved to be shortlived, as farmers seldom wanted the added expense of coordinating their farmyards with a unifying construction material theme at an added expense.

Ive never seen anything like that tiled silo. :geek:
While not real common there are a few around this area. I'll have to keep an eye out when riding around.

More common what I would call pre-fab concrete silos. Never got real close look at them but they appear to be made of cast section of curved blocks stacked together and reinforced with steel straps similar to wooded silos. Attached is just a picture I grabbed off the inernet.
silo.jpg

I recall someplace near me where someone took the metal dome off the top of one of these and placed it on the ground to be used for what I think was a kids play house.

Brushed the dust off Madness today and took off for a backroads amble near a hunert miles mostly at 40 MPH or below. I'll mix up some barns and other photos I thought were interesting today.
Just a well maintained old barn looks like horse corral
20200816_113750.jpg
Back buildings at a local orchard. A hundred year farm.
20200816_110718.jpg 20200816_110919.jpg
I like country churches.
20200816_114106.jpg
Found on the roadbed of the North Freedom Steam Train Museum.
20200816_134557.jpg 20200816_140016.jpg

All that was left of this farmstead was the windmill.
20200816_135115.jpg 20200816_135049.jpg 20200816_135357.jpg
Going, going, soon gone.
20200816_131723.jpg 20200816_131626.jpg

Pretty hard to see but a homestead log farmhouse in the trees.
20200816_125335.jpg
This made me laugh, had to go back and shoot it.
20200816_121637.jpg
Plaque tells the story of the next three.
20200816_120657.jpg 20200816_121221.jpg 20200816_120632.jpg 20200816_120835.jpg
That ML safety wire, going strong.
20200816_123910.jpg
This had me reflecting, Village of Plain mebbie 1000 people, plus surrounding farms, Built and maintain; church, rectory, convent and a substantial school Pre K to 6th grade, all bought and paid for by the congregation.
20200816_123109.jpg 20200816_122854.jpg

Absolutely perfect riding day today, made me appreciate how good an XS650 is for back road touring.

Attachments

• 20200816_113726.jpg
    20200816_113726.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 20200816_110740.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Back