Potential Tail Light?

ridethroughlife

xs650 rookie
Reaction score
The pictures I have attached are of a multi-LED flashlight that I'd like some advice on how to turn it into a rear tail light. I'm going to put some sort of red lens in the case with it. But how might I wire this? It is the usual battery setup, negative and positive posts for a battery holder.

Attachments

• 0824012352.jpg
    0824012352.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 0824012352a.jpg
    0824012352a.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 0824012353.jpg
    0824012353.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 106
I have a bottle of Marvel Mystery oil I'm thinking about cutting a round piece out of, using it as the lens in the cap, then soldering the tail light connections to this. Any ideas about how much power this will draw? It's pretty bright, easily visible for around 2 miles. The headlights I'm using draw a lot of power, so by doing this I should be salvaging a bit of power that was previously being used for the old tail light. I don't know about the varying brightness of the tail light while running versus when stopping though. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 0825010020.jpg
    0825010020.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 98
You will have to drop the voltage going to the LEDs. They only use 1.5V or something close to that. To drop the volts use resisters of the proper value wired in-line on the hot lead for brake, and tail light. I did driver light and turn signals in my VW van, but I forget the numbers. Any good electronic supply could help you set it up.

I like the idea of using a reflector as a lens. It's much more sturdy than the thin plastic of the MM bottle. It would refract the light better as well. If someone could provide more accurate voltage numbers, types of resistors [I'm unfamiliar with them] and maybe a basic wiring diagram, that would be super helpful.

I love how quick I got several great responses.

I did something very similar a few years ago. Gut the maglite, and install a 12 volt red 2057 LED bulb in a 2057 lamp base, and you will have a tail/brake light. The only catch is that I think your maglite is too small...

Brake-TailLight.gif

Here is how you make a single wattage LED work as a tail/brake light. More info here:
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=718852

Back