Powdercoating tank...

Jawknee21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm getting a new tank and I'm having it powdercoated. Are there any risks or things I should not do? Are there any vents or anything that might get covered? I don't wanna mess up a perfectly good tank...

Posted via Mobile

i'm doing the same this winter - a whole hell of a lot cheaper than paint (even doing it yourself) and you can spill fuel on the tank all day long.

the only thing i would worry about is making sure they mask all threads and the areas where the gas cap gasket meets the filler hole and where the petcock(s) mate up with the tank.

if you have to do any body work to the tank use something like J-B weld (normal stuff not the quick setup type, i think they even offer a hi-temp version now)

It's a brand new tank from mikes. It's only $119. I don't wanna waste the money on badges or filling the spaces in the side of my tank. It's leaking anyway. Just gonna sandblast and powdercoat flat black. Shipping is the longest part. Haha...

Posted via Mobile

just prep it like you would with paint, buy some high temp tape, and plugs. thats all. ive powder coated one tank, and had one done by a company, the one i did turned out better by far. but all in all its not too hard.

Back