Price of a new tire

oldcoal

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
O almost could not believe the cost of a new front tire for my Yamaha 650. $163 mounted and balanced. That is more then a new tire for my Geo Tracker is

That's why I do my own. The last tire I did cost around $65, about $15 for a tube, about $10 for the Dyna Beads to balance.
I have the tools and know how so why spend big bucks.
I also do my own car tires.
Leo

I can mount them my self but not balance them. Just the tire cost me $120 plus $10 for a tube then the rest was labor

With Dyna Beads balancing is easy. The kits come with an applicator bottle and clear hose. Put the beads in the bottle, hook the hose to the bottle, remove the valve core, hook hose to valve stem, pour slowly.
I recommend getting a longer clear hose, take the one that comes with the kit to the hardware store and get about two feet of hose. Works better. It will plug up if you pour to fast. With the long hose it's easier to see the beads and turn the tire to run the beads back into the bottle.
I use them in everything. You can even save them from the old tire and put in the new tire.
www.innovativebalancing.com Check them out.
Leo

O almost could not believe the cost of a new front tire for my Yamaha 650. $163 mounted and balanced. That is more then a new tire for my Geo Tracker is

Hi oldcoal,
and on top of that, it'll only go 1/3rd as far and a rear tire a fair bit less.
Let's look at why.
Higher cost is far lower production numbers.
Less mileage is softer rubber.
Higher install is bike wheels don't have a hole in the middle to fit the quick and easy tire machine.
And of course, it's also just a little bit of a rip off.
If you have a viable alternative to having to suck it up, let us know, eh?

hahahah, seriously. you would shit if you had to buy modern rubber. my versys isnt even a sport bike in regareds to tire size....and its like 180 a tire, just for tires. then install and balance.

luckily,, shinko ravens are a very affordable sport touring tire that work very well. Had to replace them in Bangor Maine though. But thats like half way across the continent.

hahahah, seriously. you would shit if you had to buy modern rubber. my versys isnt even a sport bike in regareds to tire size....and its like 180 a tire, just for tires. then install and balance.

luckily,, shinko ravens are a very affordable sport touring tire that work very well. Had to replace them in Bangor Maine though. But thats like half way across the continent.

Don't know how those Shinkos do for you, but I'm very happy with the Conti-Motion on my SV650. On the 3rd set now. I get 9K miles out of them with commuting duty the primary use.
Dealerships are rape dens.

I actually just wore out a distanzia i put on the front, and replaced it with one of those. Still have a metzeler tourance on the back. Those shinkos really, really suprised me. Stiiiiicky. Didnt last as long as i really wanted. But i would buy them again forsure.

Shinko tires seem to be one of the best bargins in tires out there. I'm replacing my 84FJ1100s worn Avon Venom with a Shinko 777 150/80 $75.! Its a nice design sport tire and I know people who run them and really like "em alot. Half the price of the Avon...whats not to love about that! I plan on replacing the front with a Shinko 712 (120/80) soon (about $ 60.) I mount and balance my own tires.

Balancing is as easy as suspending the wheel on the axle between a pair of folding chairs and adding weight to get a "neutral" wheel at every 90 degrees of rotation. It's not rocket science.

I fit my own tyres and have started running Shinko 712's. I'm very happy with them to date and they are available here in Philippines. I can fit new front and rear for about $150. I also use this liquid sealer from this Ebay seller. I dose it up and use about 2/3 to 3/4 of a bottle in each wheel. It helps with balance and I have not experienced a roadside stop for a puncture in 8 years of using it. It's non corrosive and water soluble and washes right out after removing old tyres. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-PACK-8-OU...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e93f23ae8&vxp=mtr

Each to his own, but this works for me.

So if it cost you $163.00 and tire and tube were $130.00 they put the tire on and balanced it for $33.00 that's a great price.
As soon as you rolled your bike into any of my shops it was 1 hour labor. That guy did you a favor. Prices of tires is what you want and buy.

Back