probably a silly question... how to take out the springs

urbandork

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive never changed the oil or taken the springs out can you just take out the springs by removing the top caps? or do you have to disassemble the whole thing?

ive tried looking over the how to's as well as the haynes manual and it looks like i do have to disassemble everything right? i guess im just hoping that i can just take off the top caps and pull the springs out and change the oil with out having to disassemble the whole fork.

Thanks in advance.

You don't have to disassemble it but you have to screw the top cap off to pour new oil in. Have a heavy rag or something over the cap because the spring will shoot it out of there like a 36mm bullet.

Funny enough I did a fork rebuild yesterday:laugh:..
The tip regarding the top cap is a good one, you may also want to loosen the cap 2-3 turns when the forks are still clamped in the yokes as it can get hard to stop the stanchion turning whilst trying to undo the cap when they are not fitted to the yoke...

Also be careful as there is a small round washer just under the cap that sits on the string, once the cap is off simply have a bucket ready turn the fork USD and let the oil drain then slide the stanchion down and you will have access to the spring...

They are about as basic a fork as you could wish for :thumbsup:

Tip...loosen the upper tree clamp before you try to undo the caps. That upper clamp holds the caps threads a bit so it seems. Those threads are very fine and can be easily feked.

One more thing. Whenever you remove the forks from the clamps, mark each tube and clamp so that tubes can be reinstalled in the same radial position. This assures that mating surfaces in tubes and sliders will meet on reassembly.

Jacking up the front end so the tire is just touching the ground, loosening the top tree clamp bolts, will make taking the caps off much easier. Lifting the front end takes most of the tension off the springs.
I like too use Kerosene to flush out the forks. Pour in about 8 ounces, work the forks up and down drain, repeat untill the kero comes out clean. Refill with oil work the fork up and down, drain. This helps flush out the kero. Fill with 7.5 ounces of oil. The extra makes the forks dive less on braking.

hi i just recently .....a few minths ago ....flushed the 33yr. old oils gunk, out of my 34mm tubes .. i felt really ashamed ... no wonder it handled like a brick.. so flushed and drained,, and 15wt. belrain oil from usa.. put back in with a tad extra... and what a difference ..it makes ..next up are progressive springs.. you can put a small right angle bend on a wire coat hanger and pull the springs out ..easy... regads oldbiker

Back