Progressive 11.5" shock travel

MC Hammered

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at that 11.5" Progressive shock setup from 650Central and can anyone tell me how much travel there is when mounted on the stock mounting points?

I wanted to mock up where my rear fender would sit and wanted to make sure it would clear the rear wheel on max compression.

I just did a couple of quick measurements on my 77 650D. As far as I am able to work out, vertical wheel travel is around 110 to 111 percent of the shock absorber stroke, with the chain adjusters in the fully aft position.

650 Central does not state shock stroke (travel), but pretty much all 12" and shorter shocks that I know of have 3" stroke (travel) if this is a correct assumption, your vertical wheel travel is around 84 mm or 3 5/16". All this relates to a standard XS, Specials may be different (?)

If I was building a bike, and wanted to be 100% sure I had sufficient wheel/ fender clearance, I'd disassemble one shock, and even remove the rubber bumper/snubber to find the fully compressed length before settling on fender mounting, tyre dimensions, etc.

(Personally, I prefer longer shocks, like 13.5" or so. Works way better, and you can use 4" travel shocks)

Back