Project Bobber X2.2 the rework.

They’ll go on the shelf with the rest of the XS2 parts. I still have the restoration to do….

Clutch plates came in and had a like new finish on them so ready to go. I quick check with a caliper and in they went. IMG_6976.jpegIMG_6977.jpeg It wasn’t easy but I squeezed the lever and rotated the back tire and could see the clutch working as it should so sat on the bike and tested the friction zone which I feel has a big improvement. I had some new Allen bolts for the cover that for some reason never got installed so I replaced the old dingy bolts with nice shiny ones.IMG_6978.jpeg If it ever stops snowing maybe I can see how it acts on the street….

Well it’s sunny and 43 with dry streets so I gave it a try. It works amazing and my friction zone is how it should be now compared to the old clutch. When I pulled it out, everything was well in spec but it still wouldn’t grab until the very end so I’ll just assume that 52yo clutches need to be replaced. I was also adjusting the clutch perch because the pull is different now. It’s not a hard pull but with the new stiffer springs I wanted a straighter pull. Well as I was tightening up the fastener it felt like my ratchet slipped. Upon further inspection I found that the perch had cracked. Luckily I have another, I just need to paint it and try and sneak it into the house so it can dry lolIMG_6990.jpeg

It may have been, I did the original build so long ago but I was noting how nice the finish was on it and also how thin the casting was compared to the OEM one I replaced it with so I’m gonna say more than likely.

All I do to stop the centerstand from "clanging" on the muffler is slip a piece of heater hose on the tang. Simple and it works well. Being so far back from the engine, the muffler doesn't get hot enough to melt the hose .....

View attachment 253605

View attachment 253606
Keep forgetting to look up replacing that broken rubber stop. This looks to be a much easier solution.

Back