Project Canuck- 84 XS650 Project Build

Forgot the stripping stage. That added another hour. You won’t have to worry about that part. All depends on the finish from the vapour blasting. As long as there were no deep scratches you need to get rid of you can probably start at 800 grit or go straight to buffing. I bought the 6” bench polisher from Princess Auto. It does a good job but it takes some time to figure out how to position the piece as it is large compared to the disc but it can be done.

Thanks! I got a similar unit from Busy Bee but I’ve never used it. Anyhow - gotta learn sometime.

Ok. Right side cover finished and engine paint touched up.

Question. To remove the paint on the ends of the fins or not. I kind of like it the way it is now but also like the polished fin end look. Maybe too Harley for me? Decisions
297AE5EB-3988-4B7A-8214-94CF7D5E88E7.jpeg

That really is a nice looking engine. I also couldn’t help notice your Suzuki V-Strom in the background. I just sold my 2011 DL650. It was a really great bike!

That really is a nice looking engine. I also couldn’t help notice your Suzuki V-Strom in the background. I just sold my 2011 DL650. It was a really great bike!

Great bike. It is now my touring bike and my Guzzi is now the fun bike. The VStrom is a nice light bike with enough power to get you where you need to go. Don’t see myself getting rid of it any time soon.

Bit of a bitch to get apart but success. Both the manual and Haynes said it was the weird nut for the dampener. After making up a pipe and it did not work realized that it is a 17mm Allen key and off it came. Oh well. Either way got it apart.

Will strip and polish and see what I end up with. A seal change is also in order.

Does anyone know if the stock spring is a progressive spring. The one i took out has tighter coils at one end.

E4FF3BFB-38B1-4FB6-B435-9F1315E980F4.jpeg

Yeah, it's progressive. The tight coils go towards the top. You might want to consider doing some mods to the forks while they're apart. Have a look here. Comments 351, 395, 402 and 447.
Hmmm. Could have sworn the tight coils were towards the bottom. Not surprised they were in wrong. Like the carbs someone also ham fisted the seal last time it was changed. There was a gouge out of the seat the seal sits in from prying out the old one. Nothing a little rtv won’t fix when I pop new one in.

On a similar note. Am I reading the torque spec for the dampener retaining nut at the bottom correctly. The manual says 44 ft/lbs with red loctite in one section and 14 in another. On seems high the other seems very low. I suspect the 44 is correct?

Assembly has begun. Frame and parts back from the powder coaters. Looks great. Only issue is they coated over the vin number and was hard to read. Had to strip back the coating over the number since the bike has not been certified yet. Oh well lesson learned but overall quite happy with the results.

E810AC82-0F79-407B-BFD5-6C14459C69FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Back