Project... "Fast & Flow"

Well I was able to get a decent amount of small annoying things done today, not much picture worthy. I did however get the exhaust painted and wrapped and it turned out pretty nice. Have to wait to fill the engine with oil before I install the exhaust, but couldn't resist throwing on one just for a picture.

70E11C24-96E8-496C-BA2F-8498AD8095F3_zpsxuprcvn3.jpg

392F116F-34FC-4865-9AD8-0F55ADB9842D_zpsporfj58r.jpg

Added oil and installed the exhaust, really liking how it turned out color wise. Got the cam chain and valves adjusted, put three tappet covers on successfully before managing to strip all three studs on the last cover. Must have been a sabotage from the PO as there was lots of mismatched nuts on these covers when I originally tore down the engine, I wouldn't doubt if some were wrong size/pitch/imperial. Luckily all three studs came out of the head without much fight so ill just get some new threaded rod in there and finish those up. Installed chain, and chain side engine cover, clutch cable, throttle cable and did some more wiring odds and ends. Not too much left, hopefully try to fire it up within the next week or so.

7F532FE2-40F7-4BAE-B707-4629CFEE1516_zpsmvhs6nce.jpg

FAF43A14-0A8D-487E-B5E5-120F8CBF4678_zpspd0q0zhl.jpg

Yea Carbon, our bike plates are massive. I did my best to try tuck it in between the frame rails so it doesn't stand out too much when looking at it straight on from the rear. At least I will still be saving gas money vs. my Sierra.

Thanks guys!

I was able to spend a few hours on the bike last night tieing up some loose ends and once finished up I thought, "there's no reason why I can't try and start this thing right now". So I got a temporary fuel source plumbed in and choke on, cranked the engine over 3 times and it fired right up. Idled nice around 5-600 rpm, but if I gave it any gas it wanted to die on me, so it definitely needs some carb tuning now. Also, I had my HHB PMA disconnected from the battery at this point, wired straight to the leads on my voltemeter. It read about 10v at idle and somehow 3v at 2000 rpm so I need to do some more investigation into this as well. But overall, I'm pretty happy that it fired up since this is my first complete engine/carb tear down and rebuild. Also, I have yet to set the timing, this was how it ran with my out of the box Pamco install. I know, worthless without a video right?... :bike:

[photobucket]http://vid114.photobucket.com/albums/n261/fox23_01/XS650%20Fast%20Flow/55C2AB9B-4A86-4D78-B7AA-D238F5F8AD19_zpsmpzuqdkb.mp4[/photobucket]

she sounds real good
I would connect reg/rec it to a capacitor or a battery and test.
you can also test stator separately by disconnecting it from reg/rec set meter to ACvoltage then start engine then testing the 3 yellow wires think of them as A, B, and C test ab,then bc then ac at around 1200rpms the voltage should be around 15to20 volts as revs get higher the voltage should climb maybe up to 50volts. on the reg/rec the test can only tell you if the rectifiers are good not the regulator

she sounds real good
I would connect reg/rec it to a capacitor or a battery and test.
you can also test stator separately by disconnecting it from reg/rec set meter to ACvoltage then start engine then testing the 3 yellow wires think of them as A, B, and C test ab,then bc then ac at around 1200rpms the voltage should be around 15to20 volts as revs get higher the voltage should climb maybe up to 50volts. on the reg/rec the test can only tell you if the rectifiers are good not the regulator

Thanks Carbon, do I need to have the rec/reg grounded to the engine as well when connected to a separate battery?

Man i sure love the "titanium" exhaust wrap. I have it on one of my bikes for the first set of pipes I ever built and it looks great, certainly covers up my ropey welds.

I'm certainly going to have to use it on my build again!! Bike sounds great, can't wait for more updates!!!

Back