Project... "Fast & Flow"

Yea, too bad SS ones are not readily available around here. The only good source I found for them is in FL and its not worth the shipping costs to Canada for just two bolts.

I have a couple of great hardware stores near me that have a fantastic selection of stainless and chrome hardware.

Finally received my valve spring compressor in the mail so I was able to start pulling the head apart and get it ready for blasting. One question for you guys, when referencing another engine build thread on the forum I noticed that he had valve shims (thin washer) under each valve spring, and when I got all my springs out there was no shims to be found. Are they present on all engines, or only certain years? Is this something I need to replace when I'm in rebuild stage? Thanks for any help in advance guys, here's a few pics to support my story.

C13A9ED1-3C1A-4F65-81FC-BE984D55793B_zpsnxll3gtj.jpg

D454CEF6-76C1-4725-A221-A52E8D97040A_zpsixpk5fiu.jpg

941FC2D9-6B08-4495-B325-75E7388978C8_zpsftak5l5x.jpg

Before the valve spring compressor showed up I was able to pull apart the rocker side of the head and blast it, powdercoated the breather and put it all back together with some nice stainless rocker plugs instead of those old rusty phillips head ones...

82A4DBCF-19B4-4AC6-BD6C-6B89FB35582B_zpswooukxmt.jpg

57A47ECE-7115-4523-8C37-EEE4BFE29EF7_zpso9gbeahl.jpg

Looking sharp! Just make sure you put those springs back the right way!
One side of the coil is tighter, that goes to the bottom.
Also, just double check with a magnet to see if the shims are there. Thought I didn't have any but they were there nice and snug!!

Loving the build Fox...what have you been using for blasting? Parts look amazing.

Looking sharp! Just make sure you put those springs back the right way!
One side of the coil is tighter, that goes to the bottom.
Also, just double check with a magnet to see if the shims are there. Thought I didn't have any but they were there nice and snug!!

Double checked with a magnet, definitely no shims there.

Loving the build Fox...what have you been using for blasting? Parts look amazing.

Thanks man, its 100 grit glass beads from my local blasting shop.

fox23,
Thanks for the info about the rocker covers. You have a lot of great skills and vision! I'll be watching for future updates on "Fast & Flow"! I'm sure your build will influence others to aspire to your level of excellence!

fox23,
Thanks for the info about the rocker covers. You have a lot of great skills and vision! I'll be watching for future updates on "Fast & Flow"! I'm sure your build will influence others to aspire to your level of excellence!

No problem man, thanks for all the support!

More done today. Front brake all installed, headlight installed/wired and got a bunch of stuff powdercoated and ready for final assembly once the motor is ready.

65B1C4FF-B7DB-45DA-BBFC-23F6B525339F_zpsc5s4gsgu.jpg

2FB28E02-FE42-4C03-8E5E-626483B735FA_zpstbv0g3ij.jpg

29763A0C-347C-4395-A75F-23ED6DB62502_zps3xfefszw.jpg

I wasn't really happy with the rear brake linkage that I originally had so I got some pivot ends and threaded up a sleeve to go between them, much better. Also threw the brake pedal and moto peg on to get a feel for how it will look when complete.

38BC3F7C-1AE0-44A3-ADCC-EF8275EA54B5_zps5r6pxuc8.jpg

D9FB594E-1DB5-46C7-A352-608C75D8AF38_zps23itatc7.jpg

00551D1A-BBE1-4050-9D7E-2D5409112A9E_zpsl4bpuknv.jpg

How's the contrast of flat black parts to the satin black of the frame look in person? I've got a lot of flat black going with my build and thought about doing a satin type finish on the frame. Your build is looking awesome dude.

How's the contrast of flat black parts to the satin black of the frame look in person? I've got a lot of flat black going with my build and thought about doing a satin type finish on the frame. Your build is looking awesome dude.

My frame is gloss black and the other parts are flat black fine texture. I like the contrast of it so far, helps highlight certain parts by having them different. Otherwise I feel it might be just too much black if they were all the same finish.

Are those rocker plugs the ones Mikes sells? I like the looks of them! Bike is REALLY coming together well, loving the look so far. I sure wish i had access to a powdercoater on my budget, I'm stuck painting everything...

Back