Project Improvise - We'll see which way this goes...

Surplus650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I picked up my first XS650, a 1981 Special, a few weeks ago, and have been reading threads on this forum ever since, trying to learn as much as I can. I'm not exactly sure what this bike will look like when I'm "done" (like that ever really happens), but I can't ever leave well enough alone, so things are definitely changing.

Here are some pics of what it looked like when I first got it home:

P1020558.jpg

P1020553.jpg

P1020555.jpg

P1020552.jpg

P1020556.jpg

that thing looks gorgeous. leave it the way it is. and that's coming from someone with a chopped hardtail lol

that thing looks gorgeous. leave it the way it is. and that's coming from someone with a chopped hardtail lol

Thanks. For 30 years old, it's in pretty good shape, but it does need some maintenance work done to it, and I have to make it my own. I'm just not a stock kind of guy.

If it was my bike, and I want a highway bike, I'd just add a "standard" 3.9 g tank to it and if its not there now a 31 tooth rear sprocket and go eat some highway miles up. Everything else is there. Crash bars, highway pegs and decent saddlebags. If the working TCI is still there start saving for a PAMCO and better coil. Shoot the paint is sweet looking! Please don't cut that bike up!

I promise to be respectful to the bike. And so you all know, everything that comes off will likely end up in the classified section.

Here's my first pile of goodies:

P1020592.jpg

It definitely needs new tires
Needs a new clutch cable
The carb mounts are super dry rotted and cracked, so got some from JBM
I'm not a fan of the stock handlebars, so I got some drag bars
I hate foam grips, so I got some nice rubber ones
Not a fan of big bulky airboxes, so I got some UNI filters
Got some new main jets (hopefully enough) to go with the UNI change

More stuff on the way...

Good choices! Braided stainless steel line reall firms up the brakes.

very nice ride hope it runs as good as it looks,small point regarding main jets,all the jets in the carbs work progresivly ie.when idling is using the jet you can adjust with screw driver,alittle more throttle & the pilot jets start woking a bit more throttle & the needle jet starts doing its thing,the main jet only comes into play 3/4 to full throttle so unless you ride every where at full noise, start with the pilot jet & then may be raise or lower the needle,main jet is the last one to fiddle with,take care & ride safe

I took a few minutes this morning to swap handlebars. I like the way this looks and feels MUCH better. Here's a pic:

P1020593.jpg

I have a new and shorter clutch cable, so that needs to go on. I need to get a shorter front brake line (I think I may switch to one line instead of the two part stock setup). Wiring will have to be re-routed a bit as well. Once all that is done I will install the grips for good. I just slid the right grip onto the left side to see how it would look.

Still trying to decide if I want to nix the stock gauge cluster and run either nothing, or just a mini speedometer.

I picked up my first XS650, a 1981 Special, a few weeks ago, and have been reading threads on this forum ever since, trying to learn as much as I can. I'm not exactly sure what this bike will look like when I'm "done" (like that ever really happens), but I can't ever leave well enough alone, so things are definitely changing.

Here are some pics of what it looked like when I first got it home:

P1020558.jpg

P1020553.jpg

P1020555.jpg

P1020552.jpg

P1020556.jpg
My god that is beautiful, please don't cut it up. They don't make these anymore and finding one in that condition is like winning the lottery.

My god that is beautiful, please don't cut it up. They don't make these anymore and finding one in that condition is like winning the lottery.

It's really not THAT beautiful. The left side cover is broken and won't stay on. Pipes have some crap melted on. The original paint was black; this is a fair silver rattle can job the PO did. And besides, I've not hacked anything (yet). I'm just making easy changes and updates to suit my tastes, performing some required maintenance, and making a few basic performance upgrades. If you all are that worried about saving this bike, PM me with your offers.

It's really not THAT beautiful. The left side cover is broken and won't stay on. Pipes have some crap melted on. The original paint was black; this is a fair silver rattle can job the PO did. And besides, I've not hacked anything (yet). I'm just making easy changes and updates to suit my tastes, performing some required maintenance, and making a few basic performance upgrades. If you all are that worried about saving this bike, PM me with your offers.
In that case you are a great photographer because the photos make it look pristine. Of course, make it your own.

>>>not directed towards your bike surplus<<<
LOL that is the first time I have ever heard an 81 special being called beautiful. Mine is an 81 also, but the disco-era styling is hardly classic. Maybe like winning the leisure-suit lottery.

>>>not directed towards your bike surplus<<<
LOL that is the first time I have ever heard an 81 special being called beautiful. Mine is an 81 also, but the disco-era styling is hardly classic. Maybe like winning the leisure-suit lottery.

No offense taken. I felt the same way. I got an 80's model because a) it's newer, and b) it's not a beautiful mid 70's model that I would feel worse about modifying far from stock.

nice bike... for a special :thumbsup: much better than my old ladies '81 special, but yours probably cost more than 500 bux. drag bars are definitely an improvement.

Have fun with the bike, they're really easy to work on and a lot of fun to wrench on.

Back