Project Improvise - We'll see which way this goes...

Well, as you can tell by the dates, this has been a VERY slow project. I hate when life gets in the way of fun... Anyway, got some time to work on it recently, and here's where I sit. Finally got the wiring finished yesterday along with a handful of other things needed to get it running. It fired right up, then started leaking gas all over the place. Shut it down and found the plastic T in the fuel line between the carbs was completely wore out, dried out and in need of replacement. I ordered the brass one from Mike's, so now I have to wait a few more days before I get to ride.

Here are a few pics:

P1100886.jpg

P1100887.jpg

P1100884.jpg

P1100888-Copy.jpg

P1100885.jpg

Thanks!

That tee is only plastic coated. You can remove the tee, strip off the plastic and use some 1/4 fuel line to reinstall it.
I can't recall who figured this out, 5twins or Pamcopete, I think it was one of them.
Leo

That tee is only plastic coated. You can remove the tee, strip off the plastic and use some 1/4 fuel line to reinstall it.
I can't recall who figured this out, 5twins or Pamcopete, I think it was one of them.
Leo

Do you just wedge the fuel line into the carbs? I've already got the replacement part on the way, so I'll just wait instead of tearing the carbs off again in a few more days.

You start the fuel line on the tee then start the fuel line into the carbs. Then use a bar clamp or a pipe clamp to press the carbs together over the tee. Use a bit of lube on the fuel line at the tee and carbs to help them slip together.
The person that figured this out has pics on how to do this on here some where.
As I said I'm not sure who it was but you might try PMing either 5twins or Pamcopete and ask them. I'm sure they will help.
Leo

It's looking sweet man! Can you tell us the mods you did? Lower it? Shocks? so on.

I have an 82 heritage special that Im going to start messing with. you're stance is fantastic.

Here is another picture.

P1100914.jpg

Got it running, took it for a short ride. RPM's started racing. It looks like the throttle shaft seals, so it's time to tear the carbs apart again, confirm, order parts, wait, and then reassemble... :doh:

It's looking sweet man! Can you tell us the mods you did? Lower it? Shocks? so on.

I have an 82 heritage special that Im going to start messing with. you're stance is fantastic.

Here's the basic list of mods (tried not to put too much money into this):
removed all the aftermarket bits that PO had installed
removed many of the stock covers, reflectors, and chrome bits
removed stock airbox
filter pods (UNI)
rejet carb
custom panel over battery and wiring area (just cut and bent sheet metal)
cut off a bunch of useless brackets, center stand, etc
replaced stock turn signals with smaller
black universal headlight mounts
replace stock brake light with Duo lamp
drag bars
new throttle assembly and cable
new shorter clutch cable
bar end mirrors
new grips
small speedo gauge from Mike's with indicator lights
removed and capped tach
relocated the stock key asm under the seat
lowered triple trees about an inch on the front forks
stock rear shocks, just on the lowest setting
cut rear fender and moved it forward so it is shorter
painted wheel, lower forks, tank, headlight, custom battery cover
new tires
cut stock seat pan to be smaller (still uses stock mounting points)
cut seat release lever much shorter
I have the stock seat foam cut down to a much lower profile, just needs to be recovered
Lots of cleaning and fluid replacement

That's mostly it. Probably some more that I'm not thinking of right now...
:thumbsup:

You start the fuel line on the tee then start the fuel line into the carbs. Then use a bar clamp or a pipe clamp to press the carbs together over the tee. Use a bit of lube on the fuel line at the tee and carbs to help them slip together.
The person that figured this out has pics on how to do this on here some where.
As I said I'm not sure who it was but you might try PMing either 5twins or Pamcopete and ask them. I'm sure they will help.
Leo

Here are the pics for that mod:

1. Strip the plastic coating off of the ends of the Tee.
2. Insert 1/4" sections of Neoprene hose in the carb openings.

fuelt.jpg

3. Start inserting the Tee's into each carb.
4. Use a clamp to press the Tee's into the carbs.
5. Keep an eye on the Neoprene so that it does not collapse in the carb openings.

carb clamp.jpg

Back