pumping oil or not?

Iowa Mark

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm getting a lot of top end noise that seems to be getting louder. I know nothing about my engine other than it had nothing out of the ordinary in the oil or filters when I changed them. The advance shaft needed cleaning and relubing, and the cam chain required adjustment. I've been taking the bike out on short rides to check other things, like carb jetting and all the rest of a new build. The last couple of rides I noticed the sound of, what I thought was the cam chain whining as I rode. Last night it seemed to sound even louder. Other than loosening the oiling tube fitting and making a mess, is there any other way to check if the oil pump is sending oil up top? On a side note, when I first got this motor there was a bent oil pump shaft caused by someone evidently spinning the motor over with the tach drive loose and having it walk up and binding the gears. I changed out the entire cover with pump from a spare engine I had.

Loosening up the banjo bolts up top and making a mess is one way, opening the valve adjustment covers And making a mess is another.
Not really any way to check without the mess.
Leo

taking off a valve adjustment cover dosn't make a lot of mess. take the right rear off,(gravity will help keep most spray in) start the bike on side stand, and if you see oil spraying in there, its pumping.
How did you adj your chain? cold or hot? adj it hot and running. If you did it cold, expansion of the metals wont be right, and would make more noise when hot. Adj it so the plunger is flush with the threaded portion of the adjuster

Sounds like the damage is already done with the previous oil pump. You can check if it's pumping oil without a mess if you crack one of the banjo bolts and kick it over quite a few times. And I mean quite a few times. It takes a while. Make sure your ignition is off. Oil will eventually get there without it starting.

Don't know how good they are, but Twinns Inn in Germany sells these.

Attachments

• zk089_06.jpg
    zk089_06.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 70
Sounds like the damage is already done with the previous oil pump. You can check if it's pumping oil without a mess if you crack one of the banjo bolts and kick it over quite a few times. And I mean quite a few times. It takes a while. Make sure your ignition is off. Oil will eventually get there without it starting.

Hi hard_y,
an impatient person like myself would pull the plugs, hook up a car battery and spin the engine on the starter to do that.

Don't know how good they are, but Twinns Inn in Germany sells these.
I don't know what that thing is, but if you have a 10mm wrench already, you don't have to spend a dime using my method.
I guesse if you had a totally chromed out bike, and a trailer to haul it with, I suppose that thing would prevent oil from spraying the left carb.

and you would have to kick very fast to keep the oil from dropping back down the oil feed tube between kicks. and a lot. I did that to prime my motor after rebuild. kicked till I couldn't walk. but eventually, oil did seep out of the upper banjo's.

For testing just run the engine. what little additional damage that may get done isn't significant. Run it long enough to tell if oil is getting where it should.
If it is properly adjust the cam chain and ride it a bit, it may quite down.
If not you need to remove the engine for a tear down.
Leo

I guesse if you had a totally chromed out bike, and a trailer to haul it with, I suppose that thing would prevent oil from spraying the left carb.

I wasn't suggesting he buy one to find out. Just thought it interesting to be able to see the valve adjusters oiling. On these bikes you are going to make a little mess to find out if it's oiling, chromed or not.

....pulling into the station the pump jockey said, "ya know, yer smokin' a bit there?"

"Yup" says I. "She's old. But I check her oil. If she's NOT smokin', that's when I worry about it!" :wink2:

Well, I'm getting oil up top. I took it for a spin and it is not rpm related, but speed. So now I'm looking at chain, idler, anything loose under the cover related to the drive sprocket. I made a solid top motor mount, maybe the gear noise from the tranny is transferred up through the gas tank? Or maybe I just think it's worse than it is? At any rate, it's a beautiful day for a ride, 70 and sunshine. I'll take my trac fone with me and a few tools and see how far from home I get.:bike:

Back