Push rod/worm gear not touching??!!

SpoogeMCMM

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so Ive been working on this bobber project for a few years and I have the motor running and am getting close to getting it road worthy-ish but when i pull the clutch cable there is no resistance. I have tried all the clutch adjustments i can find to do with the worm gear screw as well as turning the screw on the lever all the way out.

I noticed that when i am putting the rotor side case cover back on it appears that there is a decent gap between the worm gear and the clutch push rod. Does anyone know why that would be? i have removed the clutch plates from the other side of the motor, and i made sure all of the bearings as well as the 2 pieces of the push rod are in place correctly. And they move freely, they are not seized or stuck inside the motor binding up from anything.

I didnt think until just now that maybe the rod could be too short and is not making contact with the worm because of that. but i didnt think to take a picture before i left for work. Is there any reason the rod on the worm side of the motor would be short?? I am kind of at a loss.... Any help would be very appreciated.... I am stuck.

:EDIT: also i dont know if this is relevant, but i have the 15"apes from TC bros and am using the +5" cable from TC as well.

Last edited:
2M, I read through that, and as it makes sense to me, I have the 2 rod setup. and this is how mine is set up.

worm(bearing)rod(bearing)rod2(bearing)"T rod"that pushes out clutch
|o---o-------o|

check sleeve vs inner cable lengths on your extended cable vs a stock cable.

Here's some pushrod measurements you can check although I'm not sure where you would even get shorter ones. The short outer rod is 85mm long. The longer inner rod is 150mm long. Combined with a 5/16" (8mm) ball, that gives you a total pushrod "stack" length of about 243mm. The "pusher part on the far right end, the valve shaped part that actually pushes against the pressure plate, is 35mm long.

I think Gary might have hit on the problem though. Your inner cable on that extended clutch cable is too long.

Angus, no it is correct, the tapered end is out.

5twins, i am going to hit harborfreight today when i get a break before i leave and ill grab a caliper so i can measure them... something seems off. I have the feeling that when the cover goes on the motor the rod would be partially inserted into the worm gear.... i thought??

Gary, thats a good thing, my stock cable is looonnngggg gone, but i can see if i remove the cable from the lever and just pull it longer if i can hit some sort of resistance...because as of now, theres nothing stopping me from a fully extended pull on the lever.

5twins, interesting. ill have to measure that when i get home as well. I got a digital caliper now, so i should be all ready.

If the problem is excess cable length it might be solved with xsLeo's tip of installing a perch extender in the case?

So cable off the bike straight out I have 5.25 inches coming out the engine side of the cable... If this is too long, how am I supposed to remedy that?

Hmm.... That is a smart little trick. So I managed to adjust the worm screw all the way in, and my clutch lever all the way out, and I got the clutch to move. Not sure if it's far enough to actually release, but it's a start!!

Back