Question about a "fussy first"...

Bill, I recall your having mentioned this before, I think. I'm embarrassed to ask this, but what is the proper way to double clutch?

TC

1. Pull in the clutch
2. Shift into neutral
3. Release the clutch
4. Raise the engine RPM to match the road speed for 1st gear. (Be gentle on the throttle.)
5. Pull in the clutch
6. Shift into 1st gear
7. Release the clutch

Of course, on most motorcycles including our XSs, double clutching can only be done when shifting in and out of 1st gear because there are no neutrals between the other gears.

Be patient and don't rush yourself. Find places where you have room to practice using long slow stops. With practice you'll be doing the entire series of steps in about a second or so but it doesn't have to be done so quickly. Eventually it becomes natural though it will be very strange at first.

Bill, thanks for the clarification. I think step 4 is likely a big part of it, but I'll have to practice this a bit. I'd much rather try to accommodate the bike's little idiosyncrasy than mess with the shift shaft adjustment (especially when all the other gears shifting seems essentially perfect) and risk creating a real problem where there is only a perceived one.

TC

TC, sorry if im stating the obvious, but the purporse of blipping the throttle, and double de-clutching, is to (as best you can) get both the input shaft (read crank shaft) and the output shaft (read countershaft, orfront sproket) spinning at identical speeds. This should deliver a perfect meshing of the gear selected. i often change gears in my toyota, up and down, without using the clutch, same method. cheers

Posted via Mobile

TC, sorry if im stating the obvious, but the purporse of blipping the throttle, and double de-clutching, is to (as best you can) get both the input shaft (read crank shaft) and the output shaft (read countershaft, orfront sproket) spinning at identical speeds. This should deliver a perfect meshing of the gear selected. i often change gears in my toyota, up and down, without using the clutch, same method. cheers

Posted via Mobile

yamaman, often, with me, nothing is truly obvious. :p This is why I'm thinking that "operator error", or at least "operator's lack of understanding of precisely what she wants" (sound at all familiar?) may be a factor. :) It just seems to me, logically, that if the tranny drops right into first from cold (or with the engine off) perfectly, then it's not likely a physical adjustment issue, but more likely something to do with "finesse".

Also, it's a pretty primitive tranny by today's standard, I suppose.

TC

I think I have this sussed out. She definitely does not like it when I try to drop into first at more than about 10 to 15 miles per hour; when I do that, she'll almost invariably hang up in neutral. Then I'll have to come up to second to get back down to first. However, if I drop through the gears as usual, and then wait til I'm just ready to put my feet down to drop to first, there is a near-100 percent success rate.

Also, I was thinking that my clutch might be a little "grabby", but now I think it's me, possibly letting the clutch out a tad too fast occasionally while taking off. The friction zone is narrow and when I'm mindful of that, there's no problem. But if I forget... I'm reminded.

TC

Back