question about metal shavings in oil filter

sbaugz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I purchased this 81 special. It supposedly has 4600 original miles on it. The PO told me he had it running fine last year but then lost interest and its been sitting in his garage ever since. It had some bad gas in it, so I wanted to rebuild carbs and the starter was acting up and the wheels were rotten, so rather than get it running, I simply tore it down and started my brat project. The compression was 155 PSI on both sides cold so I figured I would clean it up and run it without rebuilding it.

After I started taking it apart, I have a few questions now. Based on the pictures below, does anyone see anything glaringly obvious that needs to be addressed? How far should I strip the motor down? My plan was just to clean it up and get it running without a major rebuild.
What has me most concerned now are the metal shavings on the oil filter. When I drained the oil itself out, it looked pretty clean without any shavings in it. Any comments?

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

Metal shavings in the oil filter usually mean that the sump screen has a hole in it and the "normal" accumulation of shavings has gone past the sump screen into the oil filter, so I would next check the condition of the sump screen. There is always an accumulation of metal shavings in the sump from the manufacturing process.

thanks for advice. THe shavings seem to be ferous of some sort - its tough to tell, since they are only lightly attracted to the magnet. I can't tell if they are truly attracted to magnet or if its the oil on the shavings that is making them stick to magnet. I am guessing they aren't aluminum, but I will check out the sump filter to see how that looks. Would it be a good idea to check cam guides anyways? Not sure how much is involved in that but I will read up on it.

Judging from the number of people this year that have done a cam chain guide, (for in-service failure) I'd adivse replacing it outright, especially if you are going to button it up and try to ride it.

At this point, having pulled the top half of the rocker box off, you probaly broke the seal on the base gasket. You probably should go ahead and pull the rest of the head, cylinders replace the base gasket, cam chain, front chain guide. Remove the valves, lap them new valve guide seals.
With 155 psi compression you can just put it back together making sure the rings and pistons go back where they were.
Leo

The sump filter is indeed torn. No metal fragments in there.
Anyone know of any tutorials out there for removing the top end and re installing without breaking cam chain and without doing any cylinder work? Tips and advice would be appreciated. Also I have a general idea what valve lapping is, but who does that sort of work?

Wait, wait...read the opening post...only 4600 miles on the engine. None of this is necessary except to replace the sump screen. The base gasket will be OK if you just put the damn engine back together and get on with your life.

I agree totally with Pete, at 4600 miles you are just barely broken in. Put it back together, repair the torn sump screen and ride it. (There are many posts here how to repair the screen).

Well, that was the story I got. Not sure I believe it. I guess I wouldn't say they were completely rotten, but they were definitely cracked and flat. the front turn signals were wired on with the coathanger. the tachometer was on upside down. There were all sorts of weird little issues with this bike. makes me question whether the odometer is accurate too. That's why I was posting pics to see what you all thought of what the engine looked like. Supposedly it as 4000 miles but I'm not sure I believe it now. I can tell you that there is 155 PSI of compression in the motor. And there're no metal or rubber shavings in the oil

So how many miles do the Cam Chain Guide normally go? I have replaced the sump screen...It did have a hole in the end as usual. The oil was almost totally clean of debris, but the side filter had a bunch of filings in it. I will check them with a magnet tomorrow and see if it is ferrous metal or not. Using some 15w40 to clean it out before I do the 20w50 and going to check the filter again. Hoping that it is just from manufacturing process, and not a BONE! The PO did try to fix the Clutch Pushrod Seal with some clear silicone...NICE TRY...but overall isn't that bad for 35 years old...LOL!

Attachments

• 13232923_1769726076590264_2323962836437512143_n.jpg
    13232923_1769726076590264_2323962836437512143_n.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 134
miles and age both take their toll. That said I have run quite a few XS650's with that original guide in there doing just fine. I've found others sawed through or laying in the sump. :shrug: Some PO reefing down the cam chain adjuster can destroy one in short order.

I think it's mostly an age thing. I've yet to find a front guide with the rubber worn through but on most it is loose or has completely fallen off. The glue between the rubber strip and the aluminum base is giving out after all these years.

Back