question about ride position

sbaugz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am new to this forum, having previously frequented dotheton. I have rebuilt a couple honda CBs into a brat and a cafe build. I now own a xs650 and was thinking brat style using the monster craftsman brat kit. I want to do something a little different from the norm, though. I was thinking of keeping the mid foot controls but using a slightly lowered fork and clip-on handle bars. Probably throw some firestone 500/16's on rear and a 400/19 on front. I am just curious how you all think the ride position would be. I am just a little worried about the clip-ons with the low seat and the mid foot position combo. Any thoughts?

If you are bordering on being a fat bastard like me, you'd want rearsets with clip-ons, so your feet don't go numb when your fat pinches off your femoral arteries. Not a joke really.

If you are bordering on being a fat bastard like me, you'd want rearsets with clip-ons, so your feet don't go numb when your fat pinches off your femoral arteries. Not a joke really.

thanks for advice and the graphic picture you placed in my mind. i guess I should state I am fairly small at 5'9" and 150 pounds. Just curious about how cramped it would be. I had mid-sets and clip-ons for my honda CB200 cafe bike but that seat wasn't nearly as low as the monstercraftsman brat kit seat would be.

Might not be too bad at your size. I'm assuming since the only thing brat means to me is my nephew that the seat is a flat piece of shit with some skin on it? That's what I envision when you talk about a low seat on an XS! If the seat is like frame tube low, amd you are not long in the upper body like I am, It will probably be OK for about an hour at a shot. I'm more of an upright UJM kinda guy for riding position. If I'm not driving by plate glass, I have no Idea how cool I look, and don't care, all I want is comfort, and comfort is upright for me. Does not mean I don't lower my shoulders and hang a cheek off my SV 650 when I'm thrashing it, but that's for relatively short spurts.

I got a bike once that had clubman bars and stock mids. To me, the riding position was brutal, and I'm about the same size as you sbaugz. It would have been livable with rearsets but I opted for the easier (and more comfortable) solution and put higher bars on it.

If you are set on the clipons then I would recommend going with the rearsets.

I run clubmans, stock mids and a seat that puts me about an 1-1.5 inches over frame rails. I don't find it uncomfortable unless it's long rides. Usually then it's lack of seat padding not position that gets me. I'm 5'9" and c.220.

~ Derek

I’ve just started riding this year and have to say that I should have put more thought into my seat and forward control positions. At 6’6” and 230+ lbs I’m having a hard time with the riding position and anything longer than an hour. I’ve been trying to research motorcycle ergonomics but so far I haven’t found anything. I’m ready to chop the frame again this winter and change it again if I think I can get a more comfortable riding position. One thing I have read several spots though is it might be better to have several pegs for different foot positions so that you can move around a bit.

Did you want this to be a “round town bar hopper” or are you expecting to do some longer trips.

The traditional "sit up and beg" riding position is generally the most comfortable. This means mid mount pegs and bars that you don't have to reach for. There are alway compromises. A leaned forward position is more comfortable at speed since your weight is countered by the wind blast, but puts more strain on your arms at low speed. Sitting up straight is better around town but you have to hold yourself up at higher speeds which leads to fatique.

My bike is setup now where the bars are just high enough that I can slide towards the front of the seat and sit up straight around town, but low enough that I can slide back and tuck down at speed. I'm using stock mids but added "virtual floorboards", a second set of pegs for my heals. This makes it very comfortable around town as it feels like it has floorboards. It's also better on the freeway since I can use the second pegs as rearsets when tucked down.

thanks for the input. I guess maybe I will mock it up with the clipons and see if I like it. I can always add rearsets later. This is going to be about a 20 minute ride bike max. My other bikes are more comfortable for longer rides.

I've always wanted to build a dual setup so that I could operate the controls from mid or forward. But then I think maybe a push button shifter might be easier.

I am 5'7" @ 140lbs ,,, Brat Style using mids and Keystone Bars ( see attached pics ) ,,, my scoot is still a work in progress...

full

full

Being an old fart, I much prefer the UJM Sit Up and Beg position (the perfect description, BTW, thanks for that). It's perfect for putting around at speeds under say 45.

Once I get north of 55, I shift my feet to the passenger pegs and roll forward towards the bars. As mentioned, this counters wind pressure and is very comfortable, at least at the distances I ride.

The combination works very well with the sport bars on my Special. It probably wouldn't be too comfy with the stock pullback.

Back