Question about XS1 front drum brake and motolana

Hodakakid

Hodakakid
Reaction score
Does anyone know about this product?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191028848114

I'm wondering if it can be used to fit an XS1 front drum brake to newer forks? I think I read somewhere it can be used, but the tab on the adapter would need to be shave down just a bit.

Anyone out there with any experience with this adapter?

7565403.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, twoManyXS1Bs

Yeah, I got ahead of myself and forgot to search the posts for previous threads - wasn't thinking...

Hey, also you mentioned in one of the threads that:

"Well, as you may already know, the XS1/XS1B axle is bolted direct to the left clampless lower, the backing plate bearing direct on that leg. The right side floats on the thicker part of the axle shaft, allowing you to adjust the right leg in/out to get smooth suspension movement, followed by clamping with its single-bolt pinch clamp"

I didn't quite follow you on that. Are you saying there is another issue (other than the tab to keep drum from rotating) regarding using the early XS1 front drum on later modelXS650? A different type axle set up?

Maybe these pics will help. The backing plate bears directly on the lower axle boss of the left fork lower, and tightening the axle actually clamps the backing plate to the left lower, helps lock it to that lug.

Attachments

• XS1B-ForkBottoms.jpg
    XS1B-ForkBottoms.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 70-71-XS1-XS1F-FrontWheel .jpg
    70-71-XS1-XS1F-FrontWheel .jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 269
Big Hodaka following out there. Had a decent barn find early Ace 100 a few years back. Parts could be found with a fair amount of NOS floating around.

Thanks for the info and the pics.

No, they're not still in business went out in the early 80's I think.

Yeah, gggGary - I scan craigslist almost everyday for a good one. I've had my share over the years - Road Toad, Ace, Wombat... lot's of parts bikes. I'm without any right now.

I sold my Wombat a couple of summers ago and now wish I hadn't. I'm gonna' try and lay my hands on another one. Would also like to find either a Combat Wombat or the even more elusive Super Rat...

I really missed out a few years ago. There was a fellow south of me in Ozark, MO that sold out his entire inventory of NOS and a ton of bikes for from what I remember pretty cheap.

I always got my ears up.

I'm a sucker for the old Bultacos too. Looking for another one of those, prices are getting high on them. I think I saw where someone is trying to revive the Bultaco name with an electric cafe "racer-ish" type bike.

Thanx for the update. Been so long. This forum is like a time machine.
Bultaco. We were a dealer for those too. Forgot most of it. Pursang, Alpina, Sherpa T, ...etc.
I do remember they had delicate fine-wire wound trigger coils.

Found this old pic showing another attachment method of XS1 front drum to later forks.

Attachments

• XS1-FrWheel-attach.jpg
    XS1-FrWheel-attach.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 247
Is that a Metralla at the motorcycle run?

The one on the lift looks like a bigger Sherpa maybe?

Hey, TwoMany - how close are you to Big Bend Nat Park? Me and a buddy plan on road tripping down there on Valentine's Day weekend to do some riding. We're gonna haul our Xt250's down there and ride for a couple of days. We're hoping for warm weather...

I've never been south of San Antonio and have zero experience riding in the desert. Most of my off-roading has been in Ozark Mountains.

Oh, man, Big Bend, in February? Bring yer campfires. Likely to be in the 40s.
That's about 300 miles from here.

Out west, we have miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles...

Back