Question on wiring my Boyer Bransden Ignition, Did I do this correctly?

pnedac

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am glad to be at the wiring phase of my project though it seems that no matter how many times I wire a bike it gets no easier.

Anyway I decided to go with a Sparx Alternator and a BB ignition. These are both a little different, but I have read that they get great results.

On the BB there are three wires, RED BLACK AND WHITE. The white is the ground, the Black goes to the negative on the coil, but the Red seems to need power AND go to the positive on the coil. I took the power wire from the reg/rec and joined it to the BB red wire.

So my line of thought (I am using one of the simplified diagrams from this site) was that the power will go from the battery, through a 20a fuse to the reg/rec and onto the ignition module/coil.

Does that sound like the right thing to do in this case?

I ask because there is no diagram for this combination of parts so I am being a little creative here.

Any replies are helpful. Thanks!

Pnedac

The 20 amp fuse as a main fuse is fine between the battery and reg/rec. I might use a 7.5 or ten amp between the battery and ignition.
I'm no ignition guru but the coil needs power to work. The ignition needs power to work. The igition uses this power to run the electronics of the ignition.
Power goes to the coil, out of the coil to the ignition on the black wire. The ignition controls the power flow through the coil by grounding the black wire from the coil.
I would also hook up a main switch to control the power from the battery to the bike electrics as well as an engine stop switch to control power to the igniton/coil.
Leo

Thanks XSLeo. I put in a call to Michael Morse from 650Central and I think I got it straightened out. He told me that the reg/rec power goes straight to the battery and the ignition power goes out of the key switch so I think I had it right, but I always like to have a second (or third or fourth) opinion.

Thanks!

Back