Questions on Rectifier/Regulator Installation

If you were to put the stock side covers back on over that reg would there be enough airflow? I want to put the covers back on my bike but I'm concerned about cooling. Also slightly unrelated. Is there enough airflow behind the stock covers to run my unifilters? They don't seem to touch the cover at all.

I don't know what regulator (or is it a regulator/rectifier combo) you have, but if it has a heat sink with cooling fins, it should be just fine.

A picture would be helpful, but as long as the filters have a reasonable size air flow path, they should also be good.

Yes, there should be enough air flow for both. The original regulator was located there and with a giant airbox in front of it blocking air flow. With pods, you should get even better air flow to the reg.

5twins,

Yes, the original regulator was located there, but I think that this is a combo reg / rect and its the rectifier that needs the airflow.

It is the combo that Hugh provides with his kit.

I was thinking about a stock type rec/reg. Since you now say you have a PMA type, that requires more cooling. Depending on how large of a load (lights etc) you have, a PMA type rec/reg has to dissipate a lot more heat than a stock type rec/reg.

Take your bike on a 20 to 25 km ride, with the rec/reg uncovered. When you get back, immediately use your hand to feel the temperature of the rec/reg unit. Then do the same ride with the side covers installed, and again feel the rec/reg unit. If it feels considerably hotter, you're not getting enough air flow.

Back