Rattle in OEM shortened headers???

Greenbush

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever have rattling coming from inside your OEM headers. Workin on a bike that had the stocks cut back to just after the frame mount tabs under the foot controls. I just redid the top end and all is tight and spot on. But a strange inconsistent rattle that seems to be coming from inside the headers, which are wrapped.
I put a screw driver on the head to my ear and on the header as well when I heard it yesterday. The head sounds just calm with the normal spinning metal in oil sound. But when I did it to one of the headers there was a sharp inconsistent tapping.
Anyone ever have an issue with stock headers being cut too short and the inner pipes began to rattle inside the outer pipe?

The PO of my bike hacked my headers off and I had exactly what you are talking about not to mention some other metal crap that had gotten between the two layers. Can you just take the pipe off and shake them? Mine was a very fast metal on metal rattle. Fixed by cleaning them out and some welding

RIGHT ON!! That is exactly what I thought it was. Rest my nerves. I'm gonna push for my bud to buy a NOS set of TT pipes.
Thanks!!

Double walled pipes. The "cut" end is now unsupported. I usually just weld the cut ends up and the rattle goes right away...

Once you cut the double wall pipe exhaust gas can come back up between the pipes and out those little holes near the engine. This can make things a lot louder. I just welded mine shut when I built my 2 1/2" pipes and home made baffles.

Back