Ready for build-off with my son - another 81

jbgore

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
We already had one 81, which my son was quick to claim. I picked up another today and am looking forward to he and I building these together. Today's find - or at least the story - is a 1981 with spoke wheels and under 800 orginal miles. I have the title from the original owner who was an older gentlemen that bought it new, rode it very little, then parked it outside:( While the overall condition is on the rough side, and it's currently not running, everything suggests that the mileage story just may be true. The plugs look great, the oil looks very clean, almost no wear on front brake rotor, no noticeable wear on grips, footpegs, etc. Everything under the seat (battery, fuses, etc. looks like new (battery is dead, of course), original tires with no noticeable tread wear.
I hope it wont take too much to get it running again. Carbs pour gas everywhere.
Planning on taking the carbs from my son's bike, since it runs well and is currently taken apart, and putting them on and crossing my fingers.
Looking forward to my son and I finishing our builds this Spring and riding together. We'll get pics up when there is something to look at and you can all judge the winner of our build-off.
He's already ordered a David Bird looped hard tail for his. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with mine.

Awesome, there's nothing like a father/son side by side project. I very fondly remember working on my '71 VW Bug in my Dad's garage while he worked on his '66 VW Bus on the other side. It's those special times in our lives we'll never forget.

Here is a pic of my son's bike. It's down to the engine and frame now. We need to wrestle the engine out so he can start cutting the rear portion of the frame to get ready for his hard tail.
No pics of the new bike yet, but it looks almost identical to this one, except it has the orginal handlebars. I hope to get it running before I start tearing it down - hopefully over the Christmas holiday.
Looking forward to my son's Bird looped hard tail arriving. It's what I think I want, as well. Lucky for me I get to see his first before making my decision.

Attachments

• IMG00019-20101031-1734.jpg
    IMG00019-20101031-1734.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 49
Forgot I had a cell pic of the new bike. Almost a twin to my son's bike, except his runs...

Attachments

• IMG00001-20101219-1257.jpg
    IMG00001-20101219-1257.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 96
Sounds like you have a good bike. A new battery and clean carbs, it should run fine.
I might reccomend new tires before a ride. Those old tires just may blow apart on the first ride.

Well, I'm the son and this is what my bike looks like right now (along with parts piles haha)...

IMG_3226.jpg

IMG_3228.jpg

So, I'm already a few steps ahead of the old man. He thinks his bike is going to be cooler than mine, but he is sadly mistaken...

Also, ignore the messy garage. Mom has Christmas boxes in there, there are old cabinets we need to remove and a car that I have sold but they guy has not picked up yet.

Restore yours, let the kid wreck his. Your original will be worth more in the years to come as the majority of them are eventually chopped/hard tailed.

I appreciate the thought Ian, but I must admit that a financial investment isn't on my radar with this project. Priorities are more like:
1. Fun project with my son
2. Have something a little unique to ride with my son before he disappears to college
3. Ride and enjoy life in memory of my brother (who would still be telling me to get a Road King)
Leo, I hope you're right on the battery and carbs. I'll steal my son's battery and carbs to test out your theory.
Front brake does nothing, so I assume the caliper needs to be rebuilt. Hope this is a fun in two months as it sounds now...

Last edited:
On the front brake, the fluid has probably never been changed. So cleaning out the caliper and master cylinder is a good idea. replacing the old rubber lines is a good idea too, they rot from the inside out. Braided stainless steel is the way to go.

Thanks Leo. As you suggested, I put a fresh battery and my son's carbs on the new bike and she runs like a champ. Now I've got a good carb cleaning ahead of me to get mine to work as well as his.
I'm planning on the stainless front brake line. Sounds like good advice for a solid front brake and looks good, too. I'd like to find a master cylinder that's a bit more sleek, as I'm shooting for a salt flats racer look on mine. I'd just like to find something a bit less clunky looking than the stock unit. Not sure what the options are, but I've got a ways to go before I get to that point.
Thanks again for the tips.

jbgore,

Well, MikesXS Part #08-0255 master cylinder is the best. I guess it does look clunky, but when you squeeze the brake lever, the bike stops...I like that. I always replace the M/C on the bikes that I have bought, and the brake hose as well. I think the only thing that can be safely rebuilt is the caliper, and that's because you can see the entire inside of it and clean it completely. Not so with the master cylinder, and the brake hoses were toast about 20 years ago.

I would also recommend MikesXS 41" braided SS hose as well. Allows you to get rid of the that little junction box and run just one line from the M/C to the caliper. Part #29-6504 at only $28.00 . Cheap insurance.

I went through the search for a cool looking master cylinder for my recently acquired Honda CB750, and I found one and installed it, but it was spongy, so I returned it and installed mikes M/C in it's place. Rock solid.

Thanks for the advice Pete. I'm going to prove that I'm learning, and take your advice without question this time=). I am not going to be stubborn enough to try and reinvent the wheel...no matter what my wife says!

jbgore,

Well, I went through something similar with my son, but not a complete rebuild. He had a '82 XJ550 Seca in storage that he rode down to my house with and we spent a little time getting rid of the cobwebs, including the almost non functional front brake. Put that M/C and the SS line on it and cleaned out the caliper. Even he was impressed with how well the brakes worked after that. Sometimes the old man is right! :thumbsup:

I cleaned the 4 carbs and put kits in them while he was out of town because I figured we would spend a lot of time arguing about the right way to do it. I just did it, and waited for him to say how the bike suddenly was running real smooth! Really, I said...:D

He doesn't come down here very often anymore. I keep a battery tender on his bike and ride it around the block once in a while. Kids grow up and move away, leaving the parents with a bunch of memories of when they were just kids. Every time I go down to the garage and look at his bike, I think about the good rides we had together...:bike: Hopefully, you will have a similar experience....:bike:

Merry Christmas...:)

Back