Rear axle collars

nb1914

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just refitted my rear wheel with what i thought was everything that came off it but clearly there is something missing. I think that the RH collar part number 11 is missing and possibly one from the LH side. If i was to simply pit the RH collar/spacer on then the wheel would be pushed way over too the left and very off centre that why i think something is missing from the LH also, Looking on heidens site the RH collar is 26mm which would mean i can't fit any spacer on the LH side. i think the below are the RH and LH dust covers.
IMG_2638.JPG
IMG_2637.JPG

DOH……so i forgot that the RH side has the caliperinstalled onto the axle , but there would still be a small gap on the LH side, should the tyre be off centre towards the lh side to allow for the disc/caliper on the RH side ? possibly the PO has installed the LH tensioner with the thick side towards the sprocket to provide enough clearance for the tyre on the LH swing arm

What you have on the left side is all there is there and correct. It is actually two parts, the outer tin dust cover pressed onto the inner spacer part. The parts drawing shows it as two separate parts (#23 and #24) but you won't run across them that way. Like I said, they're pressed together and stuck together pretty good. I never even bothered trying to separate one.

RearWheelBearings.jpg

As you have figured out, the brake caliper mount is the major spacer on the right side. Once assembled, even if there is a 1/8" gap or so between all the parts on the axle, that will be taken up when you tighten the axle and the swingarm ends get squeezed in.

Not really. The sprocket mount sticks out quite a bit on the left side. That pushes the rim section farther to the right and it ends up being about centered in the swingarm.

Back