Stuck front axle

Zonie

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am working on a new to me 76 XS650. Been collecting parts and now I'm ready to replace the fork seals.
Removed the axle nut and washer, loosened the cap bolts on the LH leg and hit the axle with a rubber mallet.
Didn't think that would work but worth a try. Next was a bigger hammer and a block of wood, still no go. There is corrosion between the axle and the RH fork leg. Need to get some good penetrating oil as WD-40 is no good. Tried to rotate the axle with no luck. Suggestions?
Zonie 20210805_145243.jpg

PB Blaster, heat (from a heat gun not a torch) and cranking back and forth on the left side of the axle.
EDIT: By heat.... I mean play the heat on the lower leg around the axle. Aluminum expands faster that steel. May take several tries ( heat/cooling cycles).
EDIT AGAIN: This assumes the axle is stuck inside the lower. If it the bearings inside the wheel that's rusted up... all bets are off.

Last edited:
If your axle is stuck in the bearings and not the forks you can take the cap all the way off the left lower leg and slide the left fork tube all the way up into the triple tree. You should then have enough room to remove the wheel axle and all from the right lower leg. If that doesn't work you can jack the bike up off of the right fork tube then you can work on getting the axle out a little easier. As @Jim said PB Blaster or kroil are your friends as is low slow heat from a heat gun.

Since seals are going to be replaced perhaps pull both tubes forks down with the wheel still on
If something is bent it can release ..tension

If your axle is stuck in the bearings and not the forks you can take the cap all the way off the left lower leg and slide the left fork tube all the way up into the triple tree. You should then have enough room to remove the wheel axle and all from the right lower leg. If that doesn't work you can jack the bike up off of the right fork tube then you can work on getting the axle out a little easier. As @Jim said PB Blaster or kroil are your friends as is low slow heat from a heat gun.
Is rolls easily enough so at least that part is OK. As for the axle being stuck to the inner race, that's a possibility. I put a set of vice grips on the end of the axle to no avail. Off to the parts store for some penetratingly oil. Report to follow.

I would hose it down with penetrating oil and then wait at least 20 hours. If it still wont budge put the nut on until it is flush with the end of the axle. Take a 3 lb hammer and a piece of hardwood and give it a good rap or 2. If it still is stuck hose it again and repeat with hammer. You may need to figure out a way to brace the other side so the flex of the forks don't absorb all the hammer energy. At worst you may have to drop the left leg off the bike so you can brace it better.

From your pic, it looks like the threads on the axle are shot anyway so no need to worry about buggering up the end. You're gonna have to replace that axle anyway.

After the axial is free, carefully check the bearings because all the banging may have damaged them. I normally just automatically replace the front bearings on an old bike because they are cheap items. Jim's idea about heating with a heat gun is worth a shot, I've done that in the past and saves you overheating any metal parts. Once hot some splashes of penetrating oil will get in really easily.

After the axial is free, carefully check the bearings because all the banging may have damaged them. I normally just automatically replace the front bearings on an old bike because they are cheap items. Jim's idea about heating with a heat gun is worth a shot, I've done that in the past and saves you overheating any metal parts. Once hot some splashes of penetrating oil will get in really easily.
Replacing the bearings was always on my to do list.
Thanks for the tip. This is going to be a longer project that I thought.

I would hose it down with penetrating oil and then wait at least 20 hours. If it still wont budge put the nut on until it is flush with the end of the axle. Take a 3 lb hammer and a piece of hardwood and give it a good rap or 2. If it still is stuck hose it again and repeat with hammer. You may need to figure out a way to brace the other side so the flex of the forks don't absorb all the hammer energy. At worst you may have to drop the left leg off the bike so you can brace it better.
I was thinking of using a strap to tie the legs together as a way to brace them. Hard to drop the leg off when I can't get the axle out. Just saying.
Again, thank you all for your advise.

I should have said left fork assembly.
It would not be easy but it can be done.
I am thinking that I would have to drop both side with the wheel assembly in place. I will keep looking for an answer that is easier to accomplish before going to that much effort. Report to follow.
Thanks to you and all the others who have offered me suggestions as to how to solve this issue.

Interesting; with all the barn finds through here I've never run into a seriously stuck front axle. A bunch of stuck rear, and stuck swing arm pivots are expected, just never a front.
With the bike high enough both legs can be dropped out of the triples......

I might try bracing from the other side to a solid wall or immovable object with a 2x4 or such, then use an aluminum drift and the BFH.

Interesting; with all the barn finds through here I've never run into a seriously stuck front axle. A bunch of stuck rear, and stuck swing arm pivots are expected, just never a front.
With the bike high enough both legs can be dropped out of the triples......
I have found 2 more not that far away. Going over to look at them later today. Said to have titles which is a very big plus.

Back