rear brake pedal position

colebrooker

XS650E US import
Reaction score
On my '78 Standard with spoked wheels the brake pedal sits too high for me to slide my foot over it without lifting off the footrest. I can't see any adjustment as it relies on touching the underside of the footrest. I am thinking of building it up with weld to make it sit lower. Is this the right track or am i missing something?

The underside of the footrest is not the brake stop. Remove the 10mm bolt at the back end of the pedal, slide the pedal off the splined shaft. Rotate the pedal to the desired height (forward and down) and re-install onto the splined shaft. Re-install the 10mm bolt and tighten.
This would be a good time to grease the brake pivot shaft. Mine has a grease zerk, dont know if that is standard, or something the PO installed. Also inspect and lube all the rear brake linkages.

There is a height adjustment bolt that bears against the bracket attached to the backside of the splined shaft. You'll need to look up from underneath the bike to see and adjust it. It's just above the centerstand mounts .....

HeightAdjuster.jpg

Back