Rear Light Adventure CONTINUES!

Yes, but sort of.

As you've observed, the Blue wire supplies the Blue 'running lights' circuit.

When switched to ACC(Park), you saw that the Blue wire is supplied directly by the main ignition switch.

BUT, when switched to ON, the Blue wire isn't energized by the main switch. Instead, the main switch, via R/Y, sends power first to the 'lights' switch which in turn sends it down the line via a separate Blue.

Method #1 to turn on running lights: Ign switched to ACC/Park.

Method #2: Ign ON, 'lights/headlamp' switch ON

Why? Now's the time to look beyond the taillight and switches themselves. What else is powered via the Blue wire? Via the ACC position? Via the (main) ON position?

Last edited:
Yes, but sort of.

As you've observed, the Blue wire supplies the Blue 'running lights' circuit.

When switched to ACC(Park), you saw that the Blue wire is supplied directly by the main ignition switch.

BUT, when switched to ON, the Blue wire isn't energized by the main switch. Instead, the main switch, via R/Y, sends power first to the 'lights' switch which in turn sends it down the line via a separate Blue.

Method #1 to turn on running lights: Ign switched to ACC/Park.

Method #2: Ign ON, 'lights/headlamp' switch ON

Why? Now's the time to look beyond the taillight and switches themselves. What else is powered via the Blue wire? Via the ACC position? Via the (main) ON position?

Via the main via ACC it looks the blue wire powers meter lights, whatever the heck they are. Blue wire from ON position show nothing. No blue from the ON position.

The meter lights are the little bulbs inside the tachometer and speedometer. The light up the instruments at night.

It is confusing when 1, (singular), circuit is referred to as Running lights, (plural), The Park light is a Park light circuit, (single). Running lights, (plural) are the Headlight and Tail light used together

I may be wrong, but I think that MamaYama has different lighting arrangements in different markets. Don't Aussie bikes have a low powered light inside the headlight for "parking"?

I'm pretty sure that my ST1300 crowd has said that - and the Europeans have yet another setup with a "flash-to-pass" switch on their hi-low beam switch - which are not on either Canadian or US bikes.

It's important to use the correct wiring diagram for your bike and your market.

I may be wrong, but I think that MamaYama has different lighting arrangements in different markets. Don't Aussie bikes have a low powered light inside the headlight for "parking"?

I'm pretty sure that my ST1300 crowd has said that - and the Europeans have yet another setup with a "flash-to-pass" switch on their hi-low beam switch - which are not on either Canadian or US bikes.

I just the headlight on all the time. I distinctly remember a time when the bike parking lights worked when the Main was in the ON position and DID NOT need to be triggered by putting the headlight switch in the "ON" position. Tomorrow Im going to take a look under the seat and see if anything has been moved.

Older bike had a switch that enables you shut off the light (all of them). I think the '77 had the feature. Newer bikes do not (my 2007 ST doesn't).

meter=gauge

Right, you're reading the chart correctly.

What else is powered when in ACC?

Thats all that I can see. ACC just controls the meter lights and the parking lights. BTW should the YELLOW/ORANGE signal lights in the back come on as parking lights too and be steady like the RED parking "running" light when enabled??

It is confusing when 1, (singular), circuit is referred to as Running lights, (plural), The Park light is a Park light circuit, (single). Running lights, (plural) are the Headlight and Tail light used together

Indeed, possibilities for confusion exist in innumerable ways.

For this conversation, let's assume a US 77D. And to Skull's point, he may be more accurate.

77, shall we agree on his vocab usage?

Park: Tail and gauges.
Running: Park + Headlamp

No - the yellow lights are only for use as turn signal - just like on a car.

Thats all that I can see. ACC just controls the meter lights and the parking lights. BTW should the YELLOW/ORANGE signal lights in the back come on as parking lights too and be steady like the RED parking "running" light when enabled??

Exactly, ACC/Park only powers the 'Park' circuit.

Stock, no, turn signals are completely different circuit.

No - the yellow lights are only for use as turn signal - just like on a car.

Thanks. To be honest my mind is playing tricks on me. We now have a family garage that houses ALL of my relatives cars and bikes. Maybe Im thinking about other ppls bikes and not my own. Its sensory overload when I walk in there. You should see this 65 lincoln my brother had built. Its AMAZING! custom wheels cut from one piece of aluminum each. he designed them on his computer. I love this stuff!

That Brown wire is a biggie. And from the engine stop switch...

You've got the skills now to further pour over this diagram. Keep putting the dots together. Ask questions to clarify parts you don't quite get.

BTW, Black wire? What's that?

That Brown wire is a biggie. And from the engine stop switch...

You've got the skills now to further pour over this diagram. Keep putting the dots together. Ask questions to clarify parts you don't quite get.

BTW, Black wire? What's that?

Black is always ground haha. Remember I wired an elaborate car stereo system, capacitors, 4 amps, external fans and all. ran two optima batteries etc. but that was 10 years ago

Last edited:
Back