Rear Wheel Spacer Loose

girouxmcisaak

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been working on a rebuild and I replaced both wheel bearings. The front went fine, but for some reason, the long spacer in the rear wheel won't stay put. I did make sure to put the top hat spacer into the bigger bearing, as well as the collar that goes onto the bigger spacer.

I used a bearing set to push the new bearings into the wheel, and I thought I had it all the way down. When I noticed it was loose, I used the bearing set again to push down on the oil seals but that probably doesn't do much in the way of moving the bearing. Did I get a bunk set of bearings (I got All Balls kit 25-1357)? Did I just actually not seat it all the way like I thought? Any ideas?

I just came in from the garage doing the exact same thing with the same results- a bit of a space between my bearings and the spacer and top hat that goes in between.
I should've had a closer look before removing the old ones to see if there was some play with the old set up.

Hi guys,
the between-the-bearings sleeve stops the bearings from being end-loaded when the axle is tightened?
So if the bearings are not fully seated tightening the axle nut should force them inwards until they tighten on the sleeve and the problem fixes itself?

OOPS I see OP says he has it in there??

#1 cause of this is that you did not remove #20 from the old LH bearing and install it in your new bearing!

REAR_WHEEL__XS650DEE006501F.png

If there is more than "slip space" in the assembly tightening the axle will ruin the bearings.

What counts as slip space? I should point out that it's loose by just a few mm. I didn't notice at first because it stayed in place until I touched it and it started to move out of place.

most likely, I'll pull the seals and try driving them down more. Worst case, I'll pull the bearings completely, buy new ones, and try again.

Yes, the bearings probably aren't seated all the way in. As you tap the bearing in, the sound of the hammer blows will change in pitch slightly when the bearing reaches the bottom of its bore and seats.

Back