Rebuild on Unknown Engine

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
I found a local guy who's willing to sell me an engine for $100, but its got 26,000 miles.

The exact same mileage as my current engine in the bike that runs fine.

I don't want to pass up a good deal on an engine, but I have no idea on the cost of a rebuild.

Would it be worth just saving coin until I can find a low mileage spare?

Posted via Mobile

I don't think $100 is a good deal for just an engine, probably because I got a mostly whole parts bike for $50. 26K is in that gray area - it could be good but it might need a rebuild.

A rebuild would cost near $200 minimum. That would be if it didn't need a re-bore and you did the work yourself. A re-bore could add as much as another $200-$300 to that.

Well it'd be engine and carbs.

Parts bikes are getting few and far between in high population areas. Maybe $50 for a back country barn bike, but not near Pittsburgh.

Why does everyone seem to avoid the bottom end? Seems like if something is going to go wrong, it'll be down there. Am I wrong?

Posted via Mobile

I read that the bottom end rebuilds usually come out somewhat south of $500.

Where is that cost? I see Main bearings and 80 bucks each and rod and rod bearing combos as 90 each...

Would I need to take it to a shop to have bearings pressed in or something?

Posted via Mobile

Honestly, because they are nervous to mess with it... I never leave the bottom end alone...

Back door man?

Seriously, I think the bottom end fear goes way back to the days when cases split from left to right and were much harder to work with. It's just one of those old memes that never dies.

Hello there.

I know it makes no sense to talk about prices in sweden if you, for example, live in the states but anyway:

-An engine whatever condition would cost about 400 USD. Hard to find by the way.

- Hard to say, but a total stock re-build, top and bottom would be somewhere around 1500 USD.....IF!!! you do it on your own and do a serious re-build. Maybe around 2700USD if you´ll let a shop do it.

Myself I did a "half-serious" re-build of my top-end this winter all by myself and it costed me around 650 USD, mostly parts and some tools. And for me, that´s cheap compared to 4 in-line engines.

For 100 USD I could easily buy just a top-end for example.

From Sweden/BigBoreSwede

Define rebuild? Im spending over 1200 on the crankshaft itself. 500 for bearings, 160 for con rod kit, 500+ for rephasing (Punkskalar for the win!)...It would cost hundreds for the crankshaft to get rebuilt at a machine shop so midas well rephase it.

I figure 4k in the end to rebuild the entire engine. Im placing everything that should be replaced in my opinion. I have no idea how many miles (kms) are on this thing so Im not taking the chance.. every bearing, seal, gasket etc gets replaced with new.

Im sure it could be done for less, after pulling the crank, I found so little sign of wear that I shouldnt have bothered but since the cases came apart......

Hello highspeedhamish.

Excuse for being unclear.

Now, a TOTAL re-build would of course be much more expensive then 2700 USD here in sweden.
Gee....if I would need to do such it would cost around 6500 USD. But at that stage the engine would be considerde total shit, right!

Here in sweden most of the XS a low milage, it seems the XS in the states are more used.....ecual to high milage.

Anyhow, 100 USD for an unknown engine is cheap if you ask me. If you could use all the "hardware" such as the casing, side covers and bla bla bla I would say it´s cheap.

/BigBoreSwede

WHERE DO YOU GUYS FIND WHOLE BIKES FOR $50.00?????????????
LET ME KNOW I WILL DRIVE THERE MOST JUNK BIKES HERE START AT $400.00
AND REBUILD FOR $300.00 GIVE ME THE NAME OF THAT SHOP i got 12 motors that i can send them.
I use to charge $750.00 for rebuild with new pistons /cam chain/seals everything and i went up to $900.00 because by the time you add in labor and parts maybe you are making a little money. I just bought a dead motor for $200.00 because parts were clean.
I NEED TO MOVE IF THERE IS SOME PLACE OUT THERE THAT YOU GUYS ARE BUYING COMPLETE BIKES THAT CHEAP.
$100.00 bucks buy it or give me the phone number and i will have it shipped to me.
You just don't get those deals here in the Northeast.

WHERE DO YOU GUYS FIND WHOLE BIKES FOR $50.00?????????????
LET ME KNOW I WILL DRIVE THERE MOST JUNK BIKES HERE START AT $400.00
AND REBUILD FOR $300.00 GIVE ME THE NAME OF THAT SHOP i got 12 motors that i can send them.
I use to charge $750.00 for rebuild with new pistons /cam chain/seals everything and i went up to $900.00 because by the time you add in labor and parts maybe you are making a little money. I just bought a dead motor for $200.00 because parts were clean.
I NEED TO MOVE IF THERE IS SOME PLACE OUT THERE THAT YOU GUYS ARE BUYING COMPLETE BIKES THAT CHEAP.
$100.00 bucks buy it or give me the phone number and i will have it shipped to me.
You just don't get those deals here in the Northeast.

1+ on Daddy!

/BigBoreSwede

Back