BMW R1200GS The Great Adventure

Adamc

XS650 MEDDLER
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you have been following my adventure with my Welsh Flat Tracker below:
IMG_0141.jpeg

After a total rebuild and rewire I'm still sorting out a running issue.
Gonzo Box now installed and yet to be road tested.
On Purchase Mrs C was unhappy with the lack of a pillion seat.......

So I took charge of a mates Bandit 1200:
IMG_1224.JPEG

It needs work and now an MOT; but he won't sell it to me.
He hasn't been on the road since 2013! What a waste.
I have used it and like it; strong engine too.

Yesterday a bike popped up on eBay which sparked my interest.
A phone call to the owner proved fruitful and all details checked out.
With my wife's pillion needs in mind (although not discussed with her) I negotiated a fair price and pulled the trigger on........
This Concourse minter of a bike:

BMW 1.PNG

BMW 2.PNG

BMW 3.PNG

BMW 7.PNG

A BMW R1200GS 2005 Just two owners and only 7500 miles.

So I paid a deposit via my mobile unknown to Mrs C. Arranged insurance; and collection by my delivery team for next week.
Feeling a little guilty and excited all at once; and wondering how to break the news to my wife.

Little did I know that whilst I sorted out the payments she was using my iPad at home and monitoring the whole process! Yikes!!
I arrived home to a rather cool reception whilst Miss Marple (Mrs C) extracted my guilty pleasure rather painfully for me.
After an hour of squirming she actually gave way and was OK with the whole shebang.

If anyone's interested I'll run a thread on this bike.

What a marvelous wife I have.

Ads.:bike:

First GS I've seen in those colors, nice! At 5'8", my stubby little legs and advanced age find ADV bikes challenging at low speed.
The 1200 Bandit on the other hand....
Your XS looks great!
Cheers @mick71b
Thanks for the kind words about my bikes.
Funny thing is I was looking for a Harley Road King when the Beemer popped up.
It was so clean I couldn’t leave it. Full BMW history, and complete with unused BMW side and top boxes with inners.

Last edited:
Always wanted to try one of those Bimmers, I never really could afford one so I settled for the poor mans version the Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom. I enjoyed it for a while but found myself riding my Road King and Suzuki DR-650 in their respective environments far more so I sold it.

Still curious about that BMW though.... :bike:

Always wanted to try one of those Bimmers, I never really could afford one so I settled for the poor mans version the Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom. I enjoyed it for a while but found myself riding my Road King and Suzuki DR-650 in their respective environments far more so I sold it.

Still curious about that BMW though.... :bike:
Blimey, you have a Road King; love the look of those, but big bucks in Blighty.
struggled to find a good ‘un for £5k in the UK. Never ridden one either. It’s all about the looks. I’m going to keep the Beemer for a few years now. Maybe try a Road King after that, if My limbs still work.

Blimey, you have a Road King; love the look of those, but big bucks in Blighty.
struggled to find a good ‘un for £5k in the UK. Never ridden one either. It’s all about the looks. I’m going to keep the Beemer for a few years now. Maybe try a Road King after that, if My limbs still work.
Yes, her name is "Ruby" and she's a fuel injected 2002.

We've done 77,000 wonderful miles together and she's never, ever let me down...definitely a part of the family. 🥰

1689450463487.png

Yes, her name is "Ruby" and she's a fuel injected 2002.

We've done 77,000 wonderful miles together and she's never, ever let me down...definitely a part of the family. 🥰

View attachment 247101
I have an '05 Road King Classic, bought in '16 w/18k on it. Now has 69k and has been ridden to Sturgis and to the summit of Pikes Peak on that trip. 5k miles in 14 days. Certainly not iron butt #'s, but a lot for me. Great bike. Congrats Ads on the BMW. Looks like it will be a lot of fun for you and Miss Marple.

Speaking of Hogs

Bought my '81 FXE80 in '92 with original paint and 15k mi. Currently showing 103k and only in a truck twice. Once for a grenaded trans at 67k and once for a broken wrist pin circlip at 80k. (Should of heard that!) :yikes: All new internals since and still runs great.

thumbnail (15).jpg

OK were back on the BMW thread theme again..........

Collection of the Beemer is booked for Friday this week (21.07.23)
My boys have a Transit Luton van with a tail lift; Hope the big bike fits on the lift....Yikes.
Rochford in Essex is about a 400 mile round trip from Cardiff. M4 east to wards London; skirt north on M25, and a run along the A127.
About three hours one way.

Seller is throwing in a bunch of genuine BMW service tools; and a genuine BMW workshop manual.
The 18 year old bike has a full up to date BMW main dealer service history, with no gaps.
It seems a fairly easy engine to work on, so self servicing will be an option if I cant swallow the £100+ per hour BMW labour charges.
It would be a pity to discontinue the BMW service regime however; I'll see how the funds go.

Insurance has been arranged with Carol Nash Insurance brokers.
Only £178.00 to add to my multi-bike policy; fully comprehensive and full legal cover.
Also with an agreed value of £5,000.00.

Getting excited now to get my hands on my new toy!
Ads.

Last edited:
Seller is throwing in a bunch of genuine BMW service tools; and a genuine BMW workshop manual.
The 18 year old bike has a full up to date BMW main dealer service history, with no gaps.
Can't do better than that buying a used scooter. I've heard only good things about the GS from some die-hard BMW friends.

If we had private messaging(?) I would send you a really cool BMW hat given to me by a group of Mexicans touring Appalachia. (On GS') Cool and friendly cats.
IMAG0076.JPG

Someone say GS?
KIMG4238.JPG
This 08 is just about broken in at 93K MILES. JRP01 and I headed out for a Lake Superior circle tour camping trip in a couple daze.
Will be an interesting comparo to his decked out Africa twin DCT
They are BMWs, there's some gotcha$$ now and then. I've put a bit over 6K of the miles on this one. Should add about 2K next two weeks.
Per usual done all my own work so far. Not a creampuff like your gorgeous 05. The stack of service records included BMW dealers from all over the USA.
Even with the ESA set full soft it's a bit tall. Loaded for the trip can really feel weight.
Allison gives the passenger accommodations a thumbs up.
Enjoy and keep up the reports.

Back