1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Stella - 1977D survivor, back on the road.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DanielBlack, Sep 24, 2016.

1. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Getting old is tough isn’t it??

Hehehehe. ;)

2. DanielBlack

DanielBlack XS650 Junkie

Ok, Pete. Smart, she is.

IMG_20180224_174510753.jpg

Now I just need to figure out this new accessory before dear wife comes home.
    IMG_20180224_174537339.jpg

Jim, TwoManyXS1Bs, gggGary and 3 others like this.
  3. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Superb - all ready for the new arrival!!

Pete

DanielBlack likes this.
  4. robinc

robinc Member of the 'yellow meter gang' Top Contributor

Yup looks pretty smart Daniel, but Haha, good luck with that!

DanielBlack likes this.
  5. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

6. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Nice write up on your clutch work Daniel! I hope your clutch spring upgrade works out well for you!

gggGary and DanielBlack like this.
  7. DanielBlack

DanielBlack XS650 Junkie

Today's traffic was a bit too slow to fully test high RPM shifts, too fast to experience a couple miles of stop-and-go. But I'm liking what I find so far. It feels like I removed a rubberband from the drivetrain. Good stuff.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    TwoManyXS1Bs, gggGary and robinc like this.
  8. Mailman

Very good! Sounds like progress!

9. MaxPete

Good to hear Daniel.

Pete

10. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Followed your lead and added a better LED voltmeter to resto, about like yours, save a piece of foam for padding rather than cotton balls. :wink2:

DSCN9707.JPG DSCN9708.JPG DSCN9709.JPG

the old one is available, (pic on the seat) make an offer the LED is blue. look carefully at the pic. it's not a perfect housing by any means. Fits 77-79 standards only. Shipping $3.00 USA
    She turned 30,000 miles today 10K of that on my watch

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  11. Mailman

Very nicely done Gary!

gggGary, robinc and Jim like this.
  12. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Gary, what color LED did you use? I have red in mine but with the red lens, I think a different color might show through better, maybe yellow?

13. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

My experience has been to match the diffuser/lens color to the LED color, and have the LED mounted as close to the diffuser/lens as possible. Otherwise, gets subdued and fuzzy image...

robinc and gggGary like this.
  14. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Used the red, in some other LED experiments anything other than the color that matches the lens seriously chops off the brightness. Can report back after a sunlight run. The blue even bare with NO lens over it was not readable in sunlight unless I shaded it with my glove..

robinc, Mailman and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  15. DanielBlack

DanielBlack XS650 Junkie

Hello Gents,

Due to some rather big life changes alluded to above in post #822, poor Stella's not received much attention in the last nine months or so. When the Arizona summer started in earnest the family picked up a second car and Stella was abandoned to her sad lonesomeness on the patio while all spare time was directed toward the little one who arrived in April.

Last weekend, I arrived home on Friday and needing some stress therapy flushed Stella's brake line. This weekend I found the time to give her a wash, flush and oil the drive chain, fill her tires and few other little things. With the temps now down in the 90s, I'm excited to get her out on the commute this week. Stress therapy, indeed. But not nearly as good as getting home to this big ol' toothless grin.*

IMG_0482.jpg
    The busted right turn signal is a whole 'nother story.

*Big fan of those vibes!

16. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Wonderful photo, Daniel !
    Perhaps we should have an extra month in the calendar for a winning baby picture..:)
    And its great to hear that you are back in the saddle !

robinc, gggGary, MaxPete and 2 others like this.
  17. MaxPete

What a cutie - as I’ve said, he looks just like Winston Churchill or Nikita Kruschev. The classic Heinz baby!

....now - about that turn signal.....

18. Mailman

Daniel! So good to hear you’re doing well. I love the baby photo! What a cutie!

Happy to hear Stella is getting some love and you are getting some “ stress therapy!” :)

19. MaxPete

....and that the temperature has “plunged” as low as 90 deg. F!!!

20. DanielBlack

DanielBlack XS650 Junkie

I stand corrected. Last week was in the 100s, but with the remnants of two hurricanes that recently went by, we're in the 70/80s through the 10-day forecast. :bike: