clutch, non existent almost

blackapache

blind leading the blind
Reaction score
hey guys, please be gentle as this is my first xs and my knowledge of them is non existent, im fairly mechancally minded and im learning on the fly! anyways as i said Ive just bought my first XS its a 1976 had a fair bit of work done already when i bought it, new clutch kit being part of it. the problem im having is the clutch is crazy stiff, im a big guy and i need 2 hands to pull it in, tried adjusting it, checked the tolerances for freeplay of the cable, checked the pushrod and ballbearing are in place, Its either a 2 hand pull or not there at all, had a local "bike mechanic" look at it and he said that the "heavy duty clutch springs" made the pull stiff?? i didnt think that the gauge strength of the springs would be that big a deal? not enough to make the clutch as stiff as it is anyway had to ride it 100km home the other week with no clutch. It was all freeway so it wasnt too bad but I wanna get this thing sorted. i ordered a new ezy pull cable and yz lever assembly from 650 central i also ordered new clutch springs too. i know the bike had a whole new clutch kit installed by a local yamaha dealer not 6 months before i bought the bike. any basic help would be greatly appreciated? maybe im overlooking something simple?

ive got a new set of VM34's coming and a brake upgrade as well so im hoping to get this thing really humming, after one ride it was already the greates bike id ever ridden... when i told my wife i already loved it like one of my children she didnt understand:wink2:

Hi, welcome, have a look in theTech section at the top. There is an artical all about stiff clutches and a pretty comprehensive breakdown of the XS 650 clutch.

On my clutch I had a similar issue and took up most of the freeplay which made it easier. Also lubing and routing the cable has a big bearing on things

Never assume that the PO did it right, even if it was at a Yamaha dealer. I would pop the right cover off and check. While you are in ther check that the clutch has been indexed properly ie the punched dot and 3mm hole on the basket line up (search clutch indexing and you'll find it)

The stock springs I think were 50 lb spings. I have 70lb springs. With a well lubed cable and worm I can pull the lever with two fingers. And my hands have short fingers and aren't as strong as they should be. Athritis don't help much.
Just go through your clutch and make sure that it is assembled right. Adjusted right and everything is well lubed.
Leo

Back