Rebuild, smoking, low compression, Choke stuck.

UCXS650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I just rebuilt my 81, new valve seals, bore, .50 over pistons and rings. Has 81 mikunis

Has been running great, I Took it out for its first brake in phase.. and then decided then too change the oil as the bike had been rebuilt due too running low on oil, So I imagined it might still have some metal flakes, and it did.. but not too bad. I put it back together and took it for another brake in ride.

When I would shift it would continue too accelerate, and it was back-firing.. Classic so I took off the carbs and cleaned and cleaned til I didn't ever want too clean anything ever.
When I put them back together the choke stuck.. badly I can't push them in at all.. Has anyone had this problem... I couldn't find anything on it.?(there stuck out, not in)

I sprayed some pb blaster inside the seals and hoped they would free up soon. and put the carbs back on. When I started the bike I got what felt like 7000+rpm idle.. Great on my new rebuild I know it was....:yikes: The throttle cable somehow got stuck...

So on too my question.. I ended up getting it too run okay, But the idle is too high even with the screw all the way out..and was smoking from #2 cylinder, too me at first I thought it was steam but after I shut her down the smoke lingered.... I checked the compression and its at 90 even on both cylinders..

If you have any ideas whats going on. I'll be readjusting the valves next as too hopefully increase my compression...?

I'd appreciate any and all feedback, Seems like trying too fix small issues tends too generate several bigger ones lately..:doh:

So I just rebuilt my 81, new valve seals, bore, .50 over pistons and rings. Has 81 mikunis

Has been running great, I Took it out for its first brake in phase..-- Approximate milage/time? and then decided then too change the oil as {the bike had been rebuilt due too running low on oil--What did the oil pump look like when it was inspected? , So I imagined it might still have some metal flakes, and it did.. but not too bad. I put it back together and took it for another brake in ride.

When I would shift it would continue too accelerate, and it was back-firing.. Classic so I took off the carbs and cleaned and cleaned til I didn't ever want too clean anything ever.
When I put them back together the choke stuck.. badly I can't push them in at all.. Has anyone had this problem... I couldn't find anything on it.?(there stuck out, not in)
-- I haven't. Sounds like binding though, maybe a bent plunger
I sprayed some pb blaster inside the seals and hoped they would free up soon. and put the carbs back on. When I started the bike I got what felt like 7000+rpm idle.. Great on my new rebuild I know it was....:yikes: The throttle cable somehow got stuck...--Pull the sump and check the screen.

So on too my question.. I ended up getting it too run okay, But the idle is too high even with the screw all the way out--Bench sync the carbs..and was smoking from #2 cylinder, too me at first I thought it was steam but after I shut her down the smoke lingered.... I checked the compression and its at 90 even on both cylinders..--Try a wet comp test: dribble/pour 1 oz ATF in the cyl(not on the motor:D), test. If comp goes up, rings are at fault

If you have any ideas whats going on. I'll be readjusting the valves next as too hopefully increase my compression...?

I'd appreciate any and all feedback, Seems like trying too fix small issues tends too generate several bigger ones lately..:doh:

Also, use a light and inspect the cyl walls for excess scoring. I think you may still have an oil issue.

Back