Rebuilding the chop

timtonik

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I've welded on a hardtail from voodoo vintage, torn down the engine to the crankcase, rebuilt it, in the wiring process... blew a coil when i got excited (earthground was grounded) so im not getting spark but my haynes manual has been a big help but has also led me down some less than favorable paths...

Anyways, now im looking at some next important steps and would love some input.

Rear wheel:
I picked up a 650 daytona wheel/tire/sprocket/rotor combo which works with my 20mm axle allowance but fucks up my gearing. Also not sure if ill have enough width in my mk25 hardtail for it and im not quite there yet. Have some odds and ends spacers to figure out etc... but for shits and giggles, what are you guys using for spacers on original wheels? Got reducers from voodoo proced out..

Electrical:
Just temporarily earthgrounding starter solenoid, aftermarket rectifier, and regulator. But im looking at possibilities. Might make a pill or sphere, might go with like an old pyrene fire extinguisher... any cool ideas here appreciated. Used to be a sheet metal worker but now an elevator technician so i have fab skills just no more shop use on the daily...

Foot controls:
Want to make some forwars controls out of some large connecting rods but im having difficulty finding anything large enough... so im looking at tcbros for a temp fix to get on the road...

Disc brakes:
Understanding the switch to drums... but fuck that. After shes running, going to weld a bracket that lines my sprocket up properly.

Probably could triple the length of this post but i wont bore you anymore... yet

Attachments

• 20170705_222719.jpg
    20170705_222719.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 145
  • 1500250243044851258363.jpg
    1500250243044851258363.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 147
So I've welded on a hardtail from voodoo vintage, torn down the engine to the crankcase, rebuilt it, in the wiring process... blew a coil when i got excited (earthground was grounded) so im not getting spark but my haynes manual has been a big help but has also led me down some less than favorable paths...

Anyways, now im looking at some next important steps and would love some input.

Rear wheel:
I picked up a 650 daytona wheel/tire/sprocket/rotor combo which works with my 20mm axle allowance but fucks up my gearing. Also not sure if ill have enough width in my mk25 hardtail for it and im not quite there yet. Have some odds and ends spacers to figure out etc... but for shits and giggles, what are you guys using for spacers on original wheels? Got reducers from voodoo proced out..

Electrical:
Just temporarily earthgrounding starter solenoid, aftermarket rectifier, and regulator. But im looking at possibilities. Might make a pill or sphere, might go with like an old pyrene fire extinguisher... any cool ideas here appreciated. Used to be a sheet metal worker but now an elevator technician so i have fab skills just no more shop use on the daily...

Foot controls:
Want to make some forwars controls out of some large connecting rods but im having difficulty finding anything large enough... so im looking at tcbros for a temp fix to get on the road...

Disc brakes:
Understanding the switch to drums... but fuck that. After shes running, going to weld a bracket that lines my sprocket up properly.

Probably could triple the length of this post but i wont bore you anymore... yet
=========================================================
Same tail as mine,, I love it,,
If you get a chance check my bike out.

I used a 16" rear spoked drum I got from GGGary,,,
Spacers,,I just got a set of .750" and bored them to fit.
If you need spacers let me know,,, I have a bunch of extras,, they are easily cut to width and bored out to fit the XS axle.

I used a 16" rear spoked drum I got from GGGary,,,
Spacers,,I just got a set of .750" and bored them to fit.
If you need spacers let me know,,, I have a bunch of extras,, they are easily cut to width and bored out to fit the XS axle.
Definitely need some. Pm me?

Back